What's new
What's new

Has anyone removed a Tree 325 spindle assy?

Michael Moore

Titanium
If so, how big of a PITA is it to do, and can it be done by one person without a hoist or a box of special tools (and special knowledge)?

I'm thinking it might not be a bad idea to look at the tool clamp parts in mine as I occasionally get a misclamp. But I'm really gunshy about the prospect of getting things part way in or out and getting stuck because some irreplaceable O-ring gets torn because I didn't know the secret technique for removing things. My presumption is that if something can go wrong, Mr. Murphy will be right at my elbow supervising things to ensure that happens.

cheers,
Michael

I just buttoned up the one on our 425 last night. Had it apart way too long but that is another story. After having one apart. I would do some things different.

I think you can drop the spindle with clamp assembly out of the quill without taking the quill out of the machine. Taking the quill out is an adventure. It is pretty straight forward up until you have to remove the upper screw that retains the quill to the ball nut. If it is a shcs it will be a challenge.

The unclamp cylinder stays with the quill. This can actually come out the top after you remove the drive pulley from the top.

Some things may differ on the 325 but I think the basics are the same. Pretty simple really.

Overall for a mechanical sort like yourself it will be not problem. I say go for it.

My other Tree manual (the one that I don't normally grab) turns out to cover spindle removal. It says that you can remove the drive keys and then a circlip and use a wooden mallet to smack the top and it will drop out. Does that match your experience?

It sounds too easy, along the lines of "step right up mister and win the little lady a kewpie doll by throwing these balls at the target, 3 for a dollar".

Surely there must be a catch!

Any attempt would have to wait until I get some work done on the projects that are currently in progress. I need to get some stuff done before I break things.

cheers,
Michael

We have pulled the spindle on our Tree and is was damn simple. We do not have the draw bar but they do seem pretty simple. Ours as really just as simple as unbolting the 6 screws securing the spindle in the quill on the bottom and dropping it. The spline shaft drops right out of the drive hub up top. No problem at all.

need some help with my 325 if anyone can . After running a tool , machine just died. Controller shut down. Book says the drive enable contactor should enable after e-stop is released and re-set button is hit. It doesn't anymore. Have a WDT fail light on Aux Board Any help is greatly appreciated.

Everything they say. Six screws, the spindle cartridge drops right out. Mine also has a spanner nut type of thing on the bottom. I did two last year, a 325 and 425.

ammach, what is your control?

Back