What's new
What's new

Opinion on Emco cnc lathes, please

IndGild

Hot Rolled
Hello all

We are in process of buying new cnc lathe.
So i would really appreciate your opinion...of course if you used their machines.
Generally how is their quality?
we are thinking Emco Hyperturn 45

Thank you

I've have an Emcoturn 340 for years.

Quality is top shelf, Control is the Seimens 810...took awhile to learn, Softkeys and lots of them, but once I did I was able to fly on it.

Once it warms up, machine holds size all day long, fantastic resolution for making intricate adjustments, real solid machine tools last incredible finishes.

Down side...don't let them get old. Parts and service become major issues. Parts are Pricey....No, the Parts are VERY expensive. Service phone calls after warranty are fee based...although I understand the need to generate income from someone on the phone answering questions all day.

My intention was to put several more Emco's on my floor, I like them that much...but the selling point of "Quality that will last a Lifetime with Sunsetting Support turned me off.

In short, great machines but unless I was in a position to trade them in for new every few years...

We have 2 and SIM summed it up perfectly. These machines makes great parts, but if you have to fix them..... That said, I wouldn't hesitate to buy a new one if it fit my needs/budget.

emco's

We have two of there machines and they have pretty much ran 24/7 since we got them (10&7years). There both Siemens and the older one is a 840c but you'll be getting the 840d if you go with the siemens option which we also have on the newer machine and that control has been pretty rock solid and easy to learn and program. Spare parts can get pricey through emco, if it's not a emco produced part, they do put manufacturer and part #'s in there books so you can go straight to the vendor and cut the middle man, ex- they wanted around $240 for a prox switch that I got local for about $80.

I would go with the Siemens option. I was talking to the tech one day about Fanuc vs. Siemens and he said the siemens was cheaper and unless you were doing 5axis the siemens had everything included for options where the fanuc had to have all the options added that drove the price way up.

and if you go with the hyperturn are you looking for the power mill with b & y axis?

Opinion on Emco cnc lathes, please

I have been training shops on Emco controls since they came to the US way back.
They are fast, accurate, hold good tolerances and also last.
My suggestion is to get the Fanuc control for 2 reasons;
Resale value and the fact that this is not going to be the only CNC lathe you will own in the long run. Most other machines will have Fanuc as their standard control.
On their Fanuc setup: For whatever the reason, they use the European version of the Fanuc G-Codes. Its a little different than the version used here, not a big deal, but it makes no sense to me.
Inch-Metric are different codes, so are most of the Canned Cycles, and a couple more.
If you do get Fanuc, the primary codes like G0, G1, G2, G3, G96, G97, are the same.
Examples on my website are in the most used G codes used here.
www.doccnc.com
Good luck: Heinz.

We have and Emcoturn 342 with a Fanuc OT that we purchased used a few years ago. It had a few issues with the turret when we first got it, but since we fixed that it's been a great machine.

I was not impressed with Emco-Maier's customer support. They wouldn't even give me a price on a replacement part unless I gave them a credit card number so that they could charge me for phone support. I ended up getting the part(for the turret) through Indexing Technologies who is the importer of the Sauter turret on our machine. They were very helpful.

-Aaron

Emco

I have 2 Emco's - an old 342 that has been an absolute workhorse, can't remember it being down a day since we bought it used over 10 years ago, and a 365 w/sub-spindle and live tooling. More recently, Emco has not been charging for phone support. Yes, parts are pricey, but usually can find alternate suppliers. My machines hold tolerances from start up throughout the day. I have grown so fond of the Siemen's control, that it has severely curtailed the list of lathes I will consider buying in the future.

ray

Thank you all
3 emco hyperturn 45 will come in the house , siemens control
sure they will be new :)

don`t tell me i am lucky to play on it :)

Just to bump this one up
Since that day we bought 5 more machines. Al same hyperturn45 with y axis and live tools, 2 turrets, subspindle and auto loader(not bar feeder)
Great machine , user friendly...
We love it :)
Not sure what end number will be....
So far count is 8( last 3 coming in next week :) )

Cool deal, nice to see an update.

I love my older 465 and hope to upgrade to a hyperturn in the future, but for now the one I have has been rock solid and barely a glitch all things considered. I can't imagine buying a new Emco with a Fanuc control, there are so many features the Siemens adds that Fanuc hasn't thought of yet (this coming from a Fanuc coolaid drinker).

Back