What's new
What's new

Opinion of Mori SH50? And rigging thoughts?

JasonE

Plastic
Considering another horizontal and found an SH50 not too far from us. Before looking, I would like to learn a little more about it? How they are built (ways, screws, spindle, etc), issues with them, standard features or things to ensure it has? Also have run into some Sh500s? what is the difference of the 50 and 500? Or any other close variant for that matter?

We would need to figure out how it will be moved too. How many pieces do these tear down to? Seller doesn't know. I guess again making an assumption that they are not moved as a single piece of iron?

thank you

Anyone? I think lots of things were the same in the SH series. Would be great to get a little feed back on these older Moris.

Rigging, I know most here probably don't move their own machines but maybe you have watched it being done? Would be interested to know how awkward these machines are.

SH500 is just a newer, slightly revised SH50. The SH machines were linear ways. There were several spindle options in 40 and 50 taper as well as HSK. Standard B axis was a curvic coupled 1 degree indexer. The 1 degree increments could be split at .001 degree increments but the curvic was not engaged, just a brake applied. As an option a full 4th axis could be ordered.

Moving one is not really different than any other HMC. Depending on pallet system and magazine capacity one may have to remove those and move them separately. With just 2 pallets and up to, IIRC, ~60 tools the whole thing moves in one piece. We always moved anything bigger than ~28k pounds by skates and loaded unloaded up to 60k pounds by overhead hoist.

there might be a little challenge. We just don;t have good riggers here that we trust, and we are good at. Problem is we simply cannot rent a big enough fork so we need to get 2, and about the biggest we can get is 16K.

Due to door height, we would probably need to unload outdoors. That might be an issue trying to team lift it and walk indoors with it. If we can determine a way to unload inside, that will make lifting much easier.

We DO have a crane that will lift it to get it off the trailer but that is not exactly helping us on getting it in the building.

I guess what we could do is use one of the 16K fork to pickup one end, and pick the other with the crane and work it inside enough that we can skate that end, then come around it and get the back side in.

Just from experience with skates, when they work, they are great, but we have had them walk off, slip, etc. In most cases, I really like to have the majority of the weight on a fork and use skates as helpers.

.....Just from experience with skates, when they work, they are great, but we have had them walk off, slip, etc. In most cases, I really like to have the majority of the weight on a fork and use skates as helpers.

Sounds like you are using the old chain style "multi-ton" roller skates. If so, throw them in the scrap bin and buy a set of Amital skates. There are probably other similar ones, but Amital is what I've used for the last 20 or so years. They are not cheap, but after just one move, you'll never regret the investment.

Are you referring to their roller types or their rotating skates? We have tried a few types. Biggest issue has been setting them for the right angle for rotating moves, or running out from under a load when going over a minor variation in the floor.

The set I used is a AL9G steer skate and a set of AF9G stationary skates with a variety of connector tubes.

Occasionally in really tight spots we would have to lift part of the machine and set the skates at an angle to get into or out of a tight location. Usually just make fairly large "sweeping" turns and "jockey" the load into position.

Back