What's new
What's new

Parts for Fadal

Dave K

Diamond
A while back, there was a site that got listed as a place for Fadal parts. It was an on line web site that offered Fadal parts, and pdf downloads that were drawings and assembly breakdowns. I did a search, but searching "fadal" was too vague, and I didn't know how to narrow down the search. Anyone remember the name of that site?

As long as I'm posting that, I'll tell you what's going on. My Fadal spindle (standard 7500 rpm) is fluctuating between 60% - 100% of the programmed speed. It only does this in the morning when you first turn on the machine. After about 5 minutes, it seems to clear up, and runs fine for the rest of the day.

I'm thinking the spindle end coder is going bad. What say you?

Dave, I'd definitely take a look at all wires and connectors related to the spindle, look for any dirty or corroded looking connections and reseat all connectors. Make sure the spindle encoder didn't take a bath somehow, I'd heard stories of fluids getting inside them.

Do you have anyone you can borrow an oscilloscope from to take a look at the encoder outputs?

Good luck-

Paul T.

First, CNCpros/Fadal CNC, these guys are pretty good, and will help you out on the tech side too. They will even call you back.

kmac-parts.com is another, though I've never used them.

uptimecnc.com is another, I've bought from them, but never talked to them.

On your particular problem, the spindle encoder should only come into play when rigid tapping. The feedback for RPM's should come from a hall effect sensor that is literally mounted in the tool change piston, and picks up a magnet in the top of the spindle pulley.

If the gap gets too large things get ugly. I've actually had the whole bridge/piston assembly warp on me and increase the gap to the point where it just didn't work. Rip the sheetmetal off and check the gap, around .020 seems to work pretty well, .100, not so well. Its a long shot, but its easy to check.

While you have the sheetmetal off, and not such a long shot, bad connections. Fadal used some really crappy connectors, they get dirty and they can work loose. Check the connectors all the way back to the spindle drive. There are also some connectors in the box next to the spindle motor that goes to the flexible "stuff"(what do you call that?).

Beyond that possibly a gain setting?? A cranky spindle drive??

I have found that 95% of all problems on Fadals can be fixed for free and requires no parts, you just need to find out what came loose and where.

When you do find the problem, be sure to post back.

Good luck.

I think CNC pros was the one I was thinking of.

I don't know any one with an oscilloscope.

Thanks for the replies, I'll let you know what I find.

First, CNCpros/Fadal CNC, these guys are pretty good, and will help you out on the tech side too. They will even call you back.

kmac-parts.com is another, though I've never used them.

uptimecnc.com is another, I've bought from them, but never talked to them.

On your particular problem, the spindle encoder should only come into play when rigid tapping. The feedback for RPM's should come from a hall effect sensor that is literally mounted in the tool change piston, and picks up a magnet in the top of the spindle pulley.

If the gap gets too large things get ugly. I've actually had the whole bridge/piston assembly warp on me and increase the gap to the point where it just didn't work. Rip the sheetmetal off and check the gap, around .020 seems to work pretty well, .100, not so well. Its a long shot, but its easy to check.

While you have the sheetmetal off, and not such a long shot, bad connections. Fadal used some really crappy connectors, they get dirty and they can work loose. Check the connectors all the way back to the spindle drive. There are also some connectors in the box next to the spindle motor that goes to the flexible "stuff"(what do you call that?).

Beyond that possibly a gain setting?? A cranky spindle drive??

I have found that 95% of all problems on Fadals can be fixed for free and requires no parts, you just need to find out what came loose and where.

When you do find the problem, be sure to post back.

Good luck.

So, is it www.cncpros/fadalcnc.com? I tried that and my anti-spam software blocked the site.

Ok, I talked to the guys at our local Fadal Dealership in the service department. They said the endcoder is definately what gives the spindle drive feed back as to what rpm the spindle is running. That magnetic pick up is used only for spindle orientation for tool changes, and it also needs to pick up pulses when the spindle is on, or else it will give an alarm that the spindle is not running.

He also said, the original endcoders are a cheap plastic one, made by U.S digital. The disk inside of it that has about 8000 lines on it, eventually warps, and starts to give fluctuating signals, but when a little heat gets to it, it kinda corrects itself.

So, there ya be. I hope he's right.:D

I bought a Inverter from kmac-parts.com, talked to Mike. They were very helpful and the prices were decent.

I've got an extra encoder for a fadal. It's the digital one your talking about with the small disk and a reader head. I was having rigid tap problems and it was one of the parts that was thrown at the machine by the tech to see if it was the problem. Eventually they installed new software eproms and it cleared up the problem. I'm pretty sure it works since the machine still had the rigid tap problem after the new (analog) encoder was installed. Your welcome to it if you want it. It's been sitting on my desk for the last few years.

I've got an extra encoder for a fadal. It's the digital one your talking about with the small disk and a reader head. I was having rigid tap problems and it was one of the parts that was thrown at the machine by the tech to see if it was the problem. Eventually they installed new software eproms and it cleared up the problem. I'm pretty sure it works since the machine still had the rigid tap problem after the new (analog) encoder was installed. Your welcome to it if you want it. It's been sitting on my desk for the last few years.

Edster,
Sure, I'll probably take it. What do you want for it? I'd be glad to send you a check.

You can have it. Send my your address and I'll send it ups ground. Hopefully it will do some good for you instead of being a nick nack in my office.

Actually Edster, now that I think about it, are you sure you want to part with that?

If your encoder goes bad on your machine, wouldn't you want that one for a replacement?

Back