What's new
What's new

Opinions about Emco CNC lathes

Straightedge

Hot Rolled
I've been in the market for a small used CNC lathe for a while. Basically, something about the size of my HLV-H that can be easily set up for one-offs and short runs. I found an '05-ish Emco Concept Turn 155 that seems to meet the basic size and capacity requirements. I'd have to travel to go see this machine, so I'm interested in getting opinions about these lightweight (but not tabletop) Emco machines. Looks like it has a tailstock center and live tooling which wasn't on my wish list but I guess could be pretty handy.

What's the downside? Other thoughts?

What control is it running on? Emco have a reputation for oddball fairly machine specific systems. Probably acceptable in the training market, for which I believe this machine was primarily made, but could be a worry if you need to make money. Especially if it goes down.

Clive

If you check the Emco website you will see that the current training market machines run a reconfigurable controller capable of emulating Fanuc and Siemens controllers, maybe more. Presumably different skins for Emco inside. I believe some older Emcos ran a PC based system so presumably the re-configurable system is an upgrade of that. Looks a good idea for training purposes as the college doesn't need a machine for each control but the extra layer of complexity sounds a bad idea in industrial service. Even if emulation is perfect its still another layer for troubleshooting. Not something I'd want to get involved with but if its real cheap, 'cos everyone else feels the same way, and the controller actually works well that might be passing up the bargain of the century.

That said I believe the underlying iron is a sound lighter duty machine so well worth considering if it came with a standard controller and straightforward drives. I have heard of people making reasonable money with even older Emcos, which really are limited, so a bit more consideration doesn't sound unreasonable.

Clive

I had an Emco 320 with a 12 foot bar feed and a Fanuc control. That machine just ran and ran and never had a service call. I would buy one in a heart beat for the right price.

Make Chips Boys !

Ron

If it has VDI16 tooling, which I think it has, the VDI16 driven tooling can be difficult to track down, not usually listed in catalogues and is special order.

The right angle driven tooling I think has a max of about 30mm stickout, so not to hit the rear of the cabinet when the turret indexes.

It would depend on what size drills and milling cutters you plan to use, but the VDI16 tooling rigidity limits that anyway.

Lathe tooling is 12mm square holders on mine.

A lot of these are use in teaching and trade schools, and are on the lower end of production machine sizes, for smaller parts though they work well.

Mine has programable tailstock not sure if the 155 does, but the driven tooling version may well have.

I have the 325II so next model up as Dupa3872 says, these are usually a good reliable machine.

Edit fix broken link.

Link does not work from the Tinyurl but does work if you cut and paste the full text into browser.
Page 34

TinyURL.com - shorten that long URL into a tiny URL

Back