What's new
What's new

OT: I SERIOUSLY need a new/better saw!!

wrustle

Titanium
Well, the time has come to make some drastic improvements in the sawcutting department! :angry:

I have had this Enco bandsaw (please, spare me the insults for buying a piece of crap saw....just read, you'll understand) for over 8 years now, and despite it being an "Enco" it has served me quite well for nearly the last decade with virutally no big problems, other than the blatantly obvious,......it's small, no power, low to the ground.....did I already mention low power?

Fast forward back almost 15 years ago.....(WTH?? "fast forward back" :nutter:.....yeah, let's roll with that) to where it all began........

Being the sole employee of my company and working out of my basement I needed a "small" saw to fit in right where it would be most accessible which was right next to my Lagun milling machine.

Always trying to think in an efficient manner, I could run the mill (had power feeds) and the saw at the same time.

My first saw was a "Ramco", at least I think that is what it was called, anyways I got it for "free" for doing some drawings for a guy in cad on some parts he needed made out of graphite. He gave me the parts to reverse engineer and I provided him with the drawings, and he gave me the saw. So I guess it wasn't really free......but what the hell.....I love drawing in cad so to me it was like playing in the sandbox when you were a kid.....I was in heaven!! :D

It was a great saw at the time and in excellent condition and best of all it filled a "need" I desperately wanted.

At the time I was buying all my material cut into blanks.......very costly for material, but what did I know.....I was just happy to be making chips and getting paid!.....besides.....I didn't have a saw!

So along comes this new toy and it fits right in snug as a bug right within a step or two of my Lagun and for years and years it worked perfectly.

Then as time went on little things here and there started to go wrong.

The coolant on/off knob broke off (brass needle pin) so I replaced that.

The hydraulic feed piston started leaking so I had to replace that. Next was the coolant pump!! Geez....one thing after another......welcome to self-employment! Ok....new pump comes in the next day, and we're back in business!

I was happy again, cutting and milling at the same time feeling as if I'm getting paid double time doing two things at once.......and let's face it......I was, and life was good! Best of all, I could buy material in bar length now reducing my material costs on repeat jobs, increasing my profit!!

But all good things as you know must eventually end, and so it did.........

I had a large 6" dia. bar of nylon in the saw, but did NOT have the proper blade in stock to cut it.........aw, what the hell......it will still work, right?

We've all been there, yes?.......make the best with what you've got on hand to do it and consequences be damned!! So that's what I did......damn the consequences, full speed ahead!!

The job was due in a couple days and I HAD to get it done, but poor planning on my part (coupled with a heavy dose of procrastination) left me no time to order a new blade with the proper TPI (teeth per inch) so I was forced to cut it with a blade made for steel......as in fine teeth.....no deep gullet.........no way in hell this is going to work..........just wasting my time...........what are you trying to do, you know better than that.............why didn't I order that blade when I thought about it the other day..........I hate my life!!

Yup, all those thoughts ran through my head in the first few seconds as the blade just there on top of the nylon just rubbing, and rubbing, and rubbing, and rubbing........you get the idea.....it ain't "f-ing" cutting!!

I cranked open the valve on the feed piston a full half a turn (any other material and the blade would have jammed itself stuck) but no progress was being made.

Well, I "say" no progress, but there was.....slightly......as in maybe a few thousands deep per revolution.....OMG, I'm going to be here for two weeks just cutting this crap!!

In the mean time there's quite a stringy gooey mess of nylon accumulating on the material where the saw blade was trying in vain to enter the piece, but it just was NOT going to happen. With the fine teeth on the blade it just could not dig into the material.

After nearly ten minutes of sawing I managed to make a groove about an eighth of an inch deep into the nylon. No matter how much pressure I put on the saw it just didn't cut.....even leaning on it!

Time for a new plan of attack!!

I slid the bar of material out of the saw so the sawcut groove was a foot or so sticking out of the saw now. Thinking I was some sort of evil genius now, I went out to the shed and grabbed my buck saw.

You know what a buck saw is right......a hand held saw shaped like a "bow" as in bow and arrrow. Made for trimming limbs or cutting small saplings......and best of all, it had DEEP TEETH!

"Oh yeah".....I thought to myself...."This baby has gullets about a quarter inch deep."

Heading back to the shop I couldn't help but think to myself how smart I was! No.....really......I honestly thought that too......and there was no alcohol involved either! :D

Approaching the nylon bar, I grasped the buck saw firmly with both hands and lowering the saw onto the nylon, I thought I had better make my first cut drawing the saw back to me to get the teeth lined up with the groove, and in that very instant as the teeth touched the material and I drew the blade back.......I felt success was mine!

The teeth on the back draw slid right into the sawcut groove and though it was tight, it was good and I knew I had to saw fast! With teeth that far apart it was imperative to keep the speed as fast as possible to prevent it from snagging and skipping along........but it did not matter, no sir......I may as well have been trying to sawcut cement........as soon as I tried to push forward, I almost ripped the material from the saw vise.

The long pointy teeth would do nothing but dig in stopping the saw in a herky jerky motion making me flail around like some sort of macabre puppet with broken strings.............

I was angry and devastated at the same time.....I thought for sure this would work!! The problem is, I just can't saw fast enough to get the teeth to cut without digging in and jammimg the saw.

I stood there for a while feeling totally defeated, and forlorn. I "need" to get this cut......no.......I "had' to get this cut, and cut now, but how??

As I stood looking around the shop shaking my head in disbelief at the outcome of this endevour, my eyes fell upon my trusty Craftsman chainsaw sitting under my workbench............

Yup......you know what's next........ :eek:

To be continued............:typing:

Last edited:
I am going through the same thing. Been through a couple of 7x12 import saws (had them because they fit in the space available). Slow as Christmas and don't even think about running them more than 3 hours a day because the motors will burn up. Had a 9x16 Enco saw and it was a total flexible POS that jumped around and sheared teeth off the blade at every chance. Best bandsaw I had was a 18"x20" Kalamazoo tilt frame, but it is just too big for the shop and most of what I do. Right now I am leaning to just buying an Ellis 1800 because it will fit in the available space and do miters and just live with the dry cut limitation or just set something up for it. I am going to look at the PMI saws at Houstex, I love my Kaltenbach but it has no guards or safety anything on it and I have to hire someone soon, so I might go that route for non ferrous.

Heh Heh...

W- that was incredibly well written- I laughed a dozen in each paragraph!

Nothing like having material look back at you with a blank stare as you try... but I'll admit- I've been right there.

The ticket, at least for me and nylon, has been somewhat of a surprising tool-

My $200 box-store woodcutting shop-saw with an ordinary carbide-toothed blade. Whomps right through... and leaves you standing in a pile of white shreddings, makes you feel like it's Chinese New Year...

As for the bandsaw, nurse it back into health and keep using it.

How'd the chainsaw turn out? One of my most appreciated tools, but my favorite all-around oh-crap tool... is the $70 ELECTRIC CHAINSAW. I dunno WHY nobody's 'discovered' and 're-engineer'd it for interior demolition tasks, but in all my renovation challenges, I've come across some piece of wood, some stud, some chunk of floor that I just couldn't get any other kind of spinning or reciprocating blade in to make a critical cut, and the Remington Electric chainsaw snuck in there for a snack and saved the day.

Wide kerf- wastes lots of material, but when 'ya gotta git'r dun...

Although I scanned through your post and didnt read everyword I will say you can pickup a nice Doall 1" blade semi auto saw for just a few $$$. Youw ould be much much happier with a saw that will cut with the correct chip load per tooth and god forbid ...strait. Good luck with your hunt and if you need any info on where to get such a saw drop me a line. I dont sell them but I did get a smoking deal on one.

Although I scanned through your post and didnt read everyword I will say you can pickup a nice Doall 1" blade semi auto saw for just a few $$$. Youw ould be much much happier with a saw that will cut with the correct chip load per tooth and god forbid ...strait. Good luck with your hunt and if you need any info on where to get such a saw drop me a line. I dont sell them but I did get a smoking deal on one.

OK, I'll bite. Where does one get such a saw for "just a few $$$"?

Regards.

Mike

Stick around my man.........I'm just getting warmed up on this adventure! ;)

Best Regards,
Russ

Remind me to visit this thread in a couple of years to see how it all panned out :leaving:

Boris

'I love deadlines... especially the whooshing noise as they go past' :D

Russ... apparently all you need to do is lay the stock on the floor,mark the cut lines with a sharpie and chant " Molly-Dee...Molly-Dee ...Mol..." .:D:willy_nilly:...:willy_nilly:...:willy_nilly:

This is my Mark 8 Marvel. To any one who has not played with one. It shows it will cut 22" tall I haven't actually measured, but I figure 20" tall. This picture shows a 18" tall cut. The newer ones like mine will mitre left or right up to 45 degrees. I think the really new ones will go to 30 degrees. The band moves forward 16" so if you can eyeball your cut, with a quick flip you can cut 32" long pretty easily. They are a bit spendy, however I recommend them.
Rosie
DSCF5201.jpg

DSCF5198.jpg

Sorry for the picture quality.

A Marvel is a great saw, and a space saver, but a new Marvel cost a ton and used ones pull down pretty good money. I have an Ellis 2000 I picked up used, it miters up to 60 Deg, and cuts straight, and it still needs work, but I got it for a grand, and its paid for itself several times already. I also have a Dake Johnson that is a real horse, doesn't miter but cuts straight and fast, great for bundles, thing just takes up too much space.

Oh, try to get a saw that takes a popular blade size, you can get great deals on Ebay on great brand name blades.

2nd on the marvel. It that is out of your price range then look at a Roll in Saw. Kindalike a poor mans marvel. Used one for years and had a love hate relationship with it.

Fred T

rosie, your newer Marvel 8 looks remarkably like the Marvel 8 I used to use at Berlyn Corp when I worked there. That was 1981 through 1987. ;)

I guess a good design just doesn't need much improvement. :smoking:

I have two Marvels. I pd good money for the first one at an auction in Cleveland about 10 yrs ago.

I ran a good sized prototype run of some 4140 blocks that came back out the the mill and went back into special fixture in the saw, and really took a lot of saw time. That was fine, but the job was s'posed to prooly take off and be a big run over the summer. (yr or two ago) I couldn't have the saw tied up that much, so I bought a nother Marvel at a Ford auction over the net. It is a much older model. A little less guarding and a step pulley instead of variable speed. I have less than a grand in it. (I think)

I love the upright saws as I put a full bundle on the bed and giv'r! If you can find an old one, they will be cheaper, But I think you can handle the payment on a MarkIII just the same. ;)

I have a line on a Roll-In-Saw if you like, but it is in northern Michigan.

-----------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Back