What's new
What's new

OT: Quick Tuesday Video of the shop.

wrustle

Titanium
Gentlemen,

Had some time to take some video in the shop today.

Have the new 2014 Haas ST-20 running unattended. Loving it to death!!!

The old 1992 VF-0 still cranking out parts everyday year after year.

And our new (well, new in December anyways) 2013 Haas VF-2SS doing what it does best.......making great parts in short order!!

Hope you enjoy the video, and thanks for watching!

Best Regards,
Russ

Mr Crosby this is such a long way from the early basement shop with the manual turret lathe (buried in chips :D) I remember reading about years ago, you guys have worked your butts off and it shows with this awesome equipped shop and all those nice parts....very inspiring:)

Very nice shop Russ! Glad you are doing well with it. I see the tool arms are even faster than the last one I ran. The fastest one I've ever seen was on a Tsugami horizontal though. Yours is close to that speed.

Russ,

After watching again I noticed that you zero your X before every tool index on the ST-20. Is it a haas thing or is it the way that you guys program? Not giving you crap or anything just a honest question.

Russ,

After watching again I noticed that you zero your X before every tool index on the ST-20. Is it a haas thing or is it the way that you guys program? Not giving you crap or anything just a honest question.
I can't answer for Russ but I can say when I write a new program I do it the same way. (On a Doosan) If there's a tool with a lot of stick out that I forgot about then I don't have to worry about indexing it into my part or chuck.

I put optional stops before each tool so I should be able to double check that all will clear, but it's just extra insurance. If the part ends up being higher production then I might modify the tool change position to save time and wear. On shorter runs though it's seldom worth taking the time to optimize the x tool change positions.

In other words, it safely eliminates having to worry about my z tool change position.

Of course you can go all the way home in z too if you want to be really safe. See Russ's first vid of this machine. ;-)

I normally just go X10. Z10. and move on. Just about anything will clear with those numbers.

Russ,

After a tool cuts, I have the turret return to a safe location using G58 which is an operator assigned distance clearly spelled out in the beginning of the program based on what the G54 offsets are.

Example.....G54 equals the face of stock.....stated in the instructions in the program. It would also state, that G58 X = 11.500 (that is the clearance in X from any tool in the turret) and also that G58 Z is the G54 Z number plus the length of the longest tool plus .250".

This way, no matter what tools are in the turret, they will clear the chuck and the operator only has to change two offsets in the entire program. G54 Z and G58 Z.

Now I can program whatever I want and be certain no crashes will occur and the operator does not have to make any edits in the programs making the programs repeatable without incident every time.

It is the best way I have come up with for someone with little experience to setup and run the machine with a good amount of certainty that what they are doing will not crash the machine. Perhaps not the most efficient programming method, but considering the fact I am working with a crew of all "trained as we go along" machine operators,.....it's working very well!

One of the really nice features I like about the ST-20 lathe is that I can over ride the speed at which the turret indexes and even stop the turret in mid change with the feed hold button so as I'm proving out a program right up next to the chuck. The chances of a crash are almost non-existent because you can run it in virtually slow motion.

Another nice feature, is that I can feed hold the machine after a fussy dia. is cut and while the tool is backing off, I can feed hold, over ride the spindle to 0% percent, open the door, measure the part, and either continue running or make adjustments and re-run the tool.

With regard to holding size.........I just finished a job today running some end caps. 440C SST .375" OD with a .2805" dia. +/-.0005" dia. .687" lg. 600pc order running unattended using 48" lg. bars. Even running at 4,000 rpm all day long, the machine held size right on all day from first thing this morning until 4:30 this afternoon. (my shop is climate controlled though, so it helps,....tremendously!!)

I know with my Okuma it always tended to creep in, in X minus as it heated up. Not so with the Haas. I really like that Haas has the spindle motor above the spindle housing. With the heat always rising up and out the vents at the top I see no effect with tolerance with it running wide open all day long.

The only down side I can think of is with the motor up top and vented up there........... the damn belt whine will drive you nuts!!........holy crap......that's going to take some getting used too!!

By the way..........Thanks for all the compliments gentlemen, and advice. ;)

I am always all ears when it comes to someone stating they have a better, faster, easier, or safer way or doing something they see us doing.

Doesn't mean I'll necessarily implement it.......just saying...........I'm all ears! :D

Best Regards,
Russ

After a tool cuts, I have the turret return to a safe location using G58 which is an operator assigned distance clearly spelled out in the beginning of the program based on what the G54 offsets are.

Example.....G54 equals the face of stock.....stated in the instructions in the program. It would also state, that G58 X = 11.500 (that is the clearance in X from any tool in the turret) and also that G58 Z is the G54 Z number plus the length of the longest tool plus .250".

This way, no matter what tools are in the turret, they will clear the chuck and the operator only has to change two offsets in the entire program. G54 Z and G58 Z.

Best Regards,
Russ

Ok it makes sense ;)
A while ago I was tasked to set up a pretty old machine that had a Fanuc 6T control on it. I remember setting something up similar on the control as a G50 X0.0 Z0.0 as the safe tool change position and it worked really well. It made it a lot easier for me to teach some guys how to set it up.

The feed hold on the turret is interesting... great option if you ask me as is the 0% over ride on the spindle!!

And about the spindle belt drive you will get used to it. I bought a used leadwell lathe a few years ago and sold it off before even running it. The guy that bought it from me called me up one day once he had sorted it out and said that I should come over to see how it ran. When the spindle started I told him that something was wrong. He told me "Nope that is how these era Leadwells sound" and started up his near identical one up right next to it. That day I was glad that I had sold it. It had something to do with the belt configuration and teeth setup on the belts. I'm pretty sure that the haas sounds like a baby laughing compared to the leadwells harmonic orchestra consisting of 5 grizzly bears that are fighting over who can play the violin the best!

The only down side I can think of is with the motor up top and vented up there........... the damn belt whine will drive you nuts!!........holy crap......that's going to take some getting used too!!

I have always wondered why in the world would Haas mount the spindle motor on the new ST-series lathes up so high on the headstock, versus down low on the main frame like every other builder since the bronze age??:confused:

I reckon' that was 'ol Gene's thinking, get the hot motor up high and keep the heat flowing out the top.

One thing Haas should have done with his belt-drive design is copy the Japanese, (when they all used to build belt-drive machines) and use a multiple, smooth v-belt drive system. My older Mazak QuickTurns have a 7 or 8 v-belt system, and man, those machines spin so smooth it's amazing! And I have yet to ever slip the spindle, as the multiple v-belts are matched to size, and preloaded pretty dang tight on the pulleys.

A cogged-belt drive system, like that on the Haas ST lathes, will always have that damn irritating whine and noise!

Of course most all cnc lathes built today have the integral spindle motor design, so no belts needed.

Looking great Russ!!

ToolCat Greg

Back