What's new
What's new

Bostomatic 312 lost its executive...Batteries?

GBeaman

Hot Rolled
Hi all,

I have been doing some more research and spoke with the folks at G&W services. I just recently got my machine's controls powered up correctly, and it appears it has lost its executive. It has a real to real mylar tape drive and I have the executive tape but I cannot get it to read into the memory. The Nova computer has two rocker switches...one is labeled "lock" the other says "reset" on the bottom and "PR Load" on the top the power light goes off when you hit reset and returns a few seconds later so I assume it is functioning but I can't get it to do anything with the PR Load. I believe the PR stands for Paper tape Reader and load should send it into action. I think I have the tape loaded correctly and the power is on the tape reader it will ffw and rewind and the lights are on in the Tape reading mechanism (the one that lines up with the holes in the tape). G&W told me to pull a board and find the batteries and check them. Anyone have any experience with this sort of thing? Thanks.
-Greg Beaman

First make sure the tape reader is pluged in not a BTR unit.
Here is the executive program loading procedure:
Disconnect on, power on, mill switch off ( inside control), computer on with key, load exec tape into reader, numbers 12 & 14 toggle switches up, press "stop" and "reset" toggle switches, press "program load" toggle switch down. When tape stops press "FIL" button, press "FROM PTR" 3 times (loads tool changer program), press "LIFT & HOLD" ( rewinds tape), mill switch on, computer lock with key.
Machine now ready for program load and set-up.
Artimus F.

Artimus,
Thanks for the info... You must have one of these machines. I got it to run the executive tape after several trials and errors. The control seemed to function perfectly. However, I had to reload the exec. everytime I powered down the machine. The screen gave me an error message that I could not clear after trying to manualy turn on the spindle. It reads "Vel. Limit XYZAB" The west amp drive never power up either. I think I may have a relay problem in the elec. cabinet that still needs to be ironed out. Can you tell me also... below the xyz coordinates but above the error message this line of code appeared.
N0 G90 G01 G40 F51.2 S20 T0
I am not real familiar with G code is this trying to make the machine move? How do "Home" or "calibrate" the axis , is it a manual jogging procedure or is it automatic? Thanks for your time and help.
-Greg Beaman

No I don't have one but 3t3d does so I'm using his book. It sounds like your backup batteries are bad or you haven't locked the control again after loading exec tape. Your line of code appears to be a fragment from an old program I would advise clearing the program memory. Did you get any opperators manuals for this machine? The real master dude (3t3d) may have time later to share some wisdom, Artimus F.

Back