What's new
What's new

Paswood Protect, and Locking out Certian Features

ss101504

Plastic
Good day all. I've heard there's a way to lock out access to the geometry offsets, parameters, and something about adding a password to certain functions. Is this true? I have a guy on the night shift that's wanting to learn CNC, but hes only been here a few weeks, and is trying to dig in the parameters, and mess up the geometry offsets, causing us to waste time in the morning fixing his mistakes. The bosses wont do anything until he either tears up a machine or causes a safety violation; even then it'll be a slap on the wrist. So, if anyone can verify this, and help me out, I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks!

Damn... So y'all aint psychic... My apologies there. Got in a hurry and forgot the details. This particular one is a Fortune Vturn 36, with Fanuc Oi-TC control.

Get the boss on board then take the key out of the control. Only thing he will be able to mess with is the green button and the wear offsets.

Brent

Tried that. You can still have full access to everything except editing parameters and the program.

Maybe it's a MTB thing because on this Fanuc 0i-TD I can't do shit without the key. No changing work coordinates, geometry offsets, load a program, edit program, PWE nothing. I know you can password protect all the 8000 9000 parameters and programs but I'm not aware of a parameter that inhibits the ability to mess with regular parameters and standard function of the control other than the key?

Brent

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/v...6i-ma-parameter-password-trying-crack-332841/

Not familiar with your control, but some have 2 keys, one for setup mode and one for program edit protect. Maybe turn both off and remove key?..?

yardbird, This was something me and a machine tech were talking about the other day. Mainly about how it would be nice if each builder kept things the same across the board. Would make life much easier.

Mike1974. This control only has 1 key. Doesn't do anything other than prevent editing when removed.

LowCountryCamo, It's been said... These new guys don't give a shit, and we have a million chance policy here.

Good day all. I've heard there's a way to lock out access to the geometry offsets, parameters, and something about adding a password to certain functions. Is this true? I have a guy on the night shift that's wanting to learn CNC, but hes only been here a few weeks, and is trying to dig in the parameters, and mess up the geometry offsets, causing us to waste time in the morning fixing his mistakes. The bosses wont do anything until he either tears up a machine or causes a safety violation; even then it'll be a slap on the wrist. So, if anyone can verify this, and help me out, I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks!

Hello ss101504,
Setting of Tool Offsets, Work Offsets and Macro Variables by MDI can be Enabled/Disabled by various bits of parameter 3290. The Start Number of the tool offset range to have input by MDI disabled is set in parameter 3294. The number of tool offsets (from the start number) whose input by MDI is disabled is set in parameter 3295.

Regards,

Bill

Hello ss101504,
Setting of Tool Offsets, Work Offsets and Macro Variables by MDI can be Enabled/Disabled by various bits of parameter 3290. The Start Number of the tool offset range to have input by MDI disabled is set in parameter 3294. The number of tool offsets (from the start number) whose input by MDI is disabled is set in parameter 3295.

Regards,

Bill

Thanks. Ill give this a try.

maybe he is changing stuff and maybe he is not. i have seen paranoid operators think everything that goes wrong is the other guys fault and or he is deliberately sabotaging stuff. i mean really paranoid crazy stuff. amazing how people sometimes want to blame everything not on what they do, or normal machine malfunctions but want to blame it on others out to get them or others making trouble or make them look bad.
i know a operator like twice a week i got to explain the day shift guy not doing stuff like that. i have known the guy for years. and then i got to patiently explain what most likely caused any problems he was having that day.
gets so bad sometimes i take picture of cnc control panel screen. if i write something down then they accuse me of writing it down incorrectly or maybe lying. easier to take picture and then i dont have to argue with crazy people.

maybe he is changing stuff and maybe he is not. i have seen paranoid operators think everything that goes wrong is the other guys fault and or he is deliberately sabotaging stuff. i mean really paranoid crazy stuff. amazing how people sometimes want to blame everything not on what they do, or normal machine malfunctions but want to blame it on others out to get them or others making trouble or make them look bad.
i know a operator like twice a week i got to explain the day shift guy not doing stuff like that. i have known the guy for years. and then i got to patiently explain what most likely caused any problems he was having that day.
gets so bad sometimes i take picture of cnc control panel screen. if i write something down then they accuse me of writing it down incorrectly or maybe lying. easier to take picture and then i dont have to argue with crazy people.

Yeah I know peckerheads like that. I'll bet this weeks pay check most folks no nothing about these parameters. This should fix both types of problems.

Brent

i am not saying others never make mistakes. like they have job using mill and boring bar on 9.2000 hole and closest boring bar of 9.0000 will work if adjusted bigger and occasionally it is not set back to normal size
so i just take all boring bars i will use that day and measure with offline tool setter so i know what they are set too +/-.002 and write on black board sizes measures with offline tool setter. same as any finish end mills. i either take a test cut or measure on offline tool setter.
its rare but i have caught stuff like boring bar 0.200" off normal size which will mess up a shallow test cut if more than .002 off size. same as inspecting tools like drills and mills for problem parts. i just have M1 after tool loaded to go look at it.
some things are borderline just got to do it cause your working with other people. like checking part is in fixture and against stops and clamps tight. best not to assume to much.
i got a check list i use before running machining job checking stuff ok like a plane pilot checking the airplane before takeoff and not assuming everything ok. 99% of time everything ok. point is to catch important stuff thats needs to be correct before starting. like fixture bolts tight to table. not assume slid into position they are tight. touch and see it move by hand. had a job put part in bridgeport mill vise some wise guy had bolts to vise to table slid in position but not tight obviously part rattled around on first cut. taught me as a apprentice check the basics and not assume to much.

i am not saying others never make mistakes. like they have job using mill and boring bar on 9.2000 hole and closest boring bar of 9.0000 will work if adjusted bigger and occasionally it is not set back to normal size
so i just take all boring bars i will use that day and measure with offline tool setter so i know what they are set too +/-.002 and write on black board sizes measures with offline tool setter. same as any finish end mills. i either take a test cut or measure on offline tool setter.
its rare but i have caught stuff like boring bar 0.200" off normal size which will mess up a shallow test cut if more than .002 off size. same as inspecting tools like drills and mills for problem parts. i just have M1 after tool loaded to go look at it.
some things are borderline just got to do it cause your working with other people. like checking part is in fixture and against stops and clamps tight. best not to assume to much.
i got a check list i use before running machining job checking stuff ok like a plane pilot checking the airplane before takeoff and not assuming everything ok. 99% of time everything ok. point is to catch important stuff thats needs to be correct before starting. like fixture bolts tight to table. not assume slid into position they are tight. touch and see it move by hand. had a job put part in bridgeport mill vise some wise guy had bolts to vise to table slid in position but not tight obviously part rattled around on first cut. taught me as a apprentice check the basics and not assume to much.

I think I like the idea of a checklist... We have something like that here. Just mainly use it to force people to check their oil levels. The paranoia does run high here. Almost to the point of tin foil hats and conspiracy theory levels.

I think I like the idea of a checklist... We have something like that here. Just mainly use it to force people to check their oil levels. The paranoia does run high here. Almost to the point of tin foil hats and conspiracy theory levels.

what i have on check list ?? anything important and anything that caused a problem before. after some time check list covers 99.9999% of stuff.
like check stops with feeler gage. you can tighten pusher bolt normally but for what every reason part did not move to stop. get down and check with feeler gage dont take long.
in maintenance we called it shake rattle and roll. too many walk by something that looks ok. BUT if they shake it they discover maybe it is loose, if they turn machine part does it makes funny noise, does part that suppose to turn freely for many seconds does it ??
shake rattle and roll catches many problems the assuming guy walking by machine will never catch and often it really only took often 1 minute of time.

Back