What's new
What's new

Percentage of people using G-code system A, B and C

sinha

Titanium
I believe 99% use system A, and remaining use B or C. Am I correct?

Any major reason for using B or C?

I'm not sure I understand the differences? I'm gonna wager 99% of people adapt to whatever the machine is set to when they start using it?

My 2 cents...

Brent

Looks like nearly 100% use system A. That is what I wanted to confirm, out of curiosity.

I believe 99% use system A, and remaining use B or C. Am I correct?

Any major reason for using B or C?

@ Europe:

A versions are most common, what I know.
B versions for e.g. Lathes with Live tools. e.g. Fanuc -TB
C versions, never seen in a machine shop, but we use it at our school. (duh)

Difference of Lathe A and B version is G98, G99. A-version lacks it.
The C-version we use at school, might just be for the Emco switchable control ability,
or just their 'fancy' way of design. Im used to A and B, so C is just confusing.

So, those Fanucs that I encountered, are 65% A, and 35% B.

For example, G28 U0 would alarm out in B and C where G91 G28 X0 is needed.

While our Lathe Fanuc 21, with C-list, performs G28 U0 perfectly. (G28 X0 makes it go X0, then X-home. like double move)
(parameter settings could fool anyone, to be too certain) :D

@ Europe:

A versions are most common, what I know.
C versions, never seen in a machine shop, but we use it at our school. (duh)

The C-version we use at school, might just be for the Emco switchable control ability,
or just their 'fancy' way of design. Im used to A and B, so C is just confusing.

So, those Fanucs that I encountered, are 65% A, and 35% B.

You are confusing control revisions with the g-code system.

While our Lathe Fanuc 21, with C-list, performs G28 U0 perfectly. (G28 X0 makes it go X0, then X-home. like double move)
(parameter settings could fool anyone, to be too certain) :D
Hello mikiemus,
I would be very surprised if that is the case, as selection of Absolute/Incremental by G90/G91 respectively is one of the aspects that sets G Code Systems B and C apart from System A. I've not seen a case where Incremental or Absolute commands can be executed by both G90/G91 and XZ/UW respectively in a Fanuc control set to use either G Code System B or C.

Difference of Lathe A and B version is G98, G99. A-version lacks it
System A has G98/G99 commands; they just differ in there use to that of System B and C.

Because Fanuc controls are supplied to a wide range of MTBs, according to my Fanuc Colleagues, System B and C are provided to give comparability with other controls. Also, when System A is used, U, V, or W can't be used as an axis name. Accordingly, G code system B or C is used for multi axis Turning Centres.

Regards,

Bill

With live tools, the final retraction in drilling/tapping cycles would be up to the R-point or the initial level depending on G99/G98, in G-code system B and C.
System A uses G98/G99 for a different purpose (feed per minute and feed per revolution, respectively).
Final retraction in system A is parameter dependent:
5161#1 = 0 causes initial level retraction
5161#1 = 1 causes R-point retraction
So, there is no limitation in system A.

Hello mikiemus,
I would be very surprised if that is the case, as selection of Absolute/Incremental by G90/G91 respectively is one of the aspects that sets G Code Systems B and C apart from System A. I've not seen a case where Incremental or Absolute commands can be executed by both G90/G91 and XZ/UW respectively in a Fanuc control set to use either G Code System B or C.

System A has G98/G99 commands; they just differ in there use to that of System B and C.

Because Fanuc controls are supplied to a wide range of MTBs, according to my Fanuc Colleagues, System B and C are provided to give comparability with other controls. Also, when System A is used, U, V, or W can't be used as an axis name. Accordingly, G code system B or C is used for multi axis Turning Centres.

Regards,

Bill

This confuses me a bit. I have run Fanuc 0T with system A and I can use X,Z as absolute and U,W as incremental full free, and mix them as I like. e.g. G0 X100 W-10 Works fine. All our OT System A, was like this.

If you want to be surprised I can show you a movie from a system C machine there I (in MDI) perform G21 (thread cutting cycle) in absolute programming and immediately after just type G28 U0 W0 for running to home position. What I want to say by this is following... Not all controls are setup parameterwise as we would expect. Have to learn the individual control at spot, due no one can ever know what settings it has. Ususally workers are there to make pieces and digging in parameters is not what a shopowner expects from a worker. :D

Page of manual:
View attachment Lathe.pdf

Cheers,
Mikie

Back