What's new
What's new

Pipe Thread Tapered End Mill

jrmach

Titanium
Would of been nice to own such an EM with the correct taper as this was a mill job

I did not see such an EM for sale at a few places I checked,,,do they make a pipe taper EM?

Memory serves me right it is somewhere around 1.7 degrees

Would of been nice to own such an EM with the correct taper as this was a mill job

I did not see such an EM for sale at a few places I checked,,,do they make a pipe taper EM?

Once it is tapered how did you plan on cutting the threads? NPT thread mills are available, That's how I do it.

Your looking for a pipe tap reamer

McMaster-Carr

I don't waste time with pipe tap reamers, drill correct size, then tap, saves a step.

I have not found any either the last time around, so after getting pissy about it I just took 10 pieces of 4fl and 5 pcs of 3fl endmills of 1/4 and 1/2 size, gave it to
the grinding house and with a 1 day turnaround I've got my very own NPT tapered endmills.

Yes yes yes, I know you can just drill and tap, but in my case it's petty little to spend to get absolutely perfect NPT threads.
At 30 pieces total, I think I've paid maybe $6/ea?

For aerospace you can't get away without it anyway.

The taper is 1'47" so 1.78 degrees per side...

Off the shelf 1.5 or 2 degrees per side tapered endmills are easy to get
and relatively cheap.. Should be close enough, considering you can
get away without tapering an internal thread.

Back