What's new
What's new

cinci vs Jap lathes

I have a Talon 208 and we love it. I've been told alternately that it was made by Hitachi Seiki and by Leadwell, I can't verify either one. No frills, but slugs out perfect .0002 parts with no issues. I also have a Cinturn, I'm told there's no Japanese equivalent to that.

I have a Talon 208 and we love it. I've been told alternately that it was made by Hitachi Seiki and by Leadwell, I can't verify either one. No frills, but slugs out perfect .0002 parts with no issues. I also have a Cinturn, I'm told there's no Japanese equivalent to that.
It was made by Hitachi Seiki... then Cincinnati put their control on it
What is the center distance or Z travel on yours? 12 inches or so?

HS offered the same models and I bought the one with a longer Z.. back in I think 1987.

As I remember the other dif was Cincinnati version had more tools in the turret. maybe 10 or 12 ? not sure...

I think it was STD on the HS...
When they delivered the new machine and got it all hooked up and ready to run the fellow showed how to set the tools and we programed a part... ran the part.. and measured... well within .0002 FIRST PART... no adjustments needed.... I was very impressed

But the BIG Cincinnati's have the advantage of POWER,,,I remember one job I had that needed the 4 or 5 inch Dia x 18 inch or so long bar to be cut down a lot... I took it to a friend of mine that has a Cinturn with 30 or 40 HP ...his machine just chews up that sorta stuff

There are parameters to set that control the accuracy of the tool setter. It is very handy and makes setup a breeze.

My Cinturn is a 30HP 10C. It is nice to have power. I'm planning to rotary broach a 3/4" hex in stainless, it should have the nuts to do it.

Mud..
Does your machine have the safety clutches on the ball screws?
I thought they were a great idea and when the setup guy said here's what were gona do...
RAM AT FULL SPEED AHEAD the Z axis into the chuck... HUH???? sez me? yeah he says, cuz some day it's gona happen and you need to know how to fix it... ok..(NEW MACHINE WARRANTY )

Even after that crash... you do the procedure to put the clutch back engaged to the motor ( maybe 2 mins total ) and check the tools ... SAME... NO damage to the machine at all.

You mean the Talon? I'm not sure. It had the head and turret knocked out of line when I got it, came from a college, I don't think they ever ran it again after that because it still had all the OEM paint on the inside. If it had the clutches, I don't think it would have been knocked out of line?

You mean the Talon? I'm not sure. It had the head and turret knocked out of line when I got it, came from a college, I don't think they ever ran it again after that because it still had all the OEM paint on the inside. If it had the clutches, I don't think it would have been knocked out of line?

Good Point....
You have the manuals?... if the clutches are there, it should be in the manuals.

Boy, the old Cinci cnc lathes certainly had power. I used to run and '81 model with the acramatic 900 control. It was just a chucking center. The rapid was slow compared to our mazaks of comparable size, but it would absolutely bury them in chips. It just had so much power and was so rigid.

I think it depends on the particular model and application to be run.....which one ya looking at?

It is a 1993 300MT 4-Axis Acramatic 950 with a 50 HP Spindle

I am concerned about service and parts.

It will be used for hard turning of the ends of small ball screws in the under 1"diameter range and turning and threading of 2.5" diameter stainless bar plus other turning. I think the size is overkill but the machine looks good and has live tooling and low hours.

Thanks

Excellent machine, super heavy duty, I believe it's very similar to a 14-12 Cinturn but newer. Be wary of the 950 control, I hear parts are becoming scarce and expensive, it was a relatively low production control for Cincinnati because they only used it for 4+ axis machines. Otherwise Cincinnati and Siemens are very good about supporting older machines. Call Siemens at 800-354-0426 and talk to Dave Lyle for info about the control. Service on the iron is easy, everything is in the manual.

I suspect it will be way too much machine for you, the rapids and spindle speeds will seem slow, and it will use huge amounts of current and air to run it, making it expensive to operate(not calculating the likely low purchase price). There was a 14-12 with a Fanuc at an auction where I bought my 10C that went for approx 9K, and it had a lot of hours on it, a new X axis ballscrew came with it so I suspect it needed work. Was used with a barfeeder. The 4 axis appealed to me but it was way too big for me. 3"+ spindle bore.

attachment.php

Attachments

• 008-4.jpg
    008-4.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 652
It was made by Hitachi Seiki... then Cincinnati put their control on it
What is the center distance or Z travel on yours? 12 inches or so?

HS offered the same models and I bought the one with a longer Z.. back in I think 1987.

As I remember the other dif was Cincinnati version had more tools in the turret. maybe 10 or 12 ? not sure...

The Talon series is that old? :skep:

------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Back