What's new
What's new

Plastic washers

gdgambler

Hot Rolled
I am making thousands of plastic washers. When I put a micrometer on them after the cutoff one side is thicker than the other, that is width, by .0005 or so. What could be causing that?

The material is probably stress relieving as you machine it ,more stress in one side of the bar than the other.

The material is acetal, I am using very sharp coated carbide tools. The .0005 is way in tolerance but I was just wondering how I could improve my part.

Parting off on a lathe can cause that. Parting tools like to wander. And there are axial forces at the corner of the insert.
Try to part off a few thou of a brass bar (or plastic, anything that parts cleanly) with a worn tool, in theory the result would be a washer , say, 10 thou thick.

In reality you get a nice little cup like piece. It curls away from the parting tool due to the residual stresses imparted into the metal.

Basically - if you are parting them off...why are you wondering about 0.0005....that aint bad...that is GOOD.

Parting off on a lathe can cause that. Parting tools like to wander. And there are axial forces at the corner of the insert.
Try to part off a few thou of a brass bar (or plastic, anything that parts cleanly) with a worn tool, in theory the result would be a washer , say, 10 thou thick.

In reality you get a nice little cup like piece. It curls away from the parting tool due to the residual stresses imparted into the metal.

Basically - if you are parting them off...why are you wondering about 0.0005....that aint bad...that is GOOD.

I was assuming the error was either side rather than variation from outside to centre.

Back