What's new
What's new

Please advise - for a NEW CNC machine !

NX - CAM

Plastic
We are a small shop, and want to expand our capabilities.
We do doing mainly prototypes, fixtures, "small" parts.
The biggest material stock I have seen here is, aluminum/steel,about dia 450 x 350 mm.
We are looking for a new vertical milling CNC machine, the budget is 60,000.
3 + 2 axis would be best.
Precision is required
Since here are very experienced machinists I would take any ideas.

So you're looking for a 3 axis VMC with a two axis trunnion?
If so, think about how large your 5 axis parts are going to be.
A Haas VF2 with TR160 trunnion will make 5 axis parts (more than 60k sorry) but has very limited Z travel and tools have to be pretty short. And its 5 axis machining cube is the size of a grapefruit.
I'd recommend the next size larger if you plan on doing much with the trunnion.

Before buying any 3+2 or 4+1 or 5-axis simultaneous, make a good cad model of it, and some typical parts. The behavoir of work envelopes changes in hard to understand ways when you go more than 3 axis.
Also, $60K will be tough for a new machine...

$60k is barely enough to get an entry level 3 axis VMC. (And that's before you buy tooling.) There are no 3+2 machines anywhere near that price.

If that's your budget you're going to have to look at used machines.

There's a five-axis KT 600 in Los Angeles. Been on craigslist quite a while, he's down to $12,000 or so. Looks super. If you think you can handle 5 axes to start, hell, a K&T should be a picnic.

Shit, our 3+2 trunnion was $60k once it was installed.
With your budget you MIGHTget lucky on a worn out used 3+2 mill.
As for a new one....Save up $120k for a new machine, trunnion, and all of the tooling that you'll need.

my company just bought a horizontal cnc for $2,400,000 and the installation on foundation going down 4 feet it probably is considerable more
horizontals can take more or higher machining rates not so flimsy

my company just bought a horizontal cnc for $2,400,000 and the installation on foundation going down 4 feet it probably is considerable more
horizontals can take more or higher machining rates not so flimsy

Again, you add NOTHING to the topic.
What the fuck does this have to do with the original question?

The question that you and your group need to answer is do we NEED a 3 + 2 or will a 3 axis with multiple fixtures/operations work?

So is using metric and not specifying US dollars a big thing in Michigan? Did they secede from the union?
Nah, it's the newest thing in industry. Hire people who don't know anything to make the decisions on all your major investments and capital equipment. Anything you need to know these days is free on the internet, so help the bottom line ! Hire the handicapped ! :)

NX-CAM,

Are you saying that the "blank" you want to be able to fit into your workspace is 450mm in diameter and 350mm long? If so, that's a "medium" sized machine in the 5-axis world. If you only need 3+2, not simultaneous 5, then things could get slightly easier, but not by much.

I believe $60k may be the down payment on a machine that meets your requirements (with options and tooling), not the total cost.

(just for reference, a C-22 Hermle is 450mm x 370mm)

PM

I believe $60k may be the down payment on a machine that meets your requirements (with options and tooling), not the total cost.
I could do it for twenty-five, easy, but then ... I have a clue ?

edit: oops. Looks like it finally sold. You snooze you lose :(

OP specified "new", which means around $150K for something semi-decent. We paid that for a VF-3SS with trunnion and options two years ago for making bone plates and the like. You're not going to get anything remotely capable new for $60K, that's high-end hobby grade, and there's a dearth of five axis or 3+2 options in that range. The cheapest I've been able to price a new 3+2 machine is about $110K (with the minimum options I'd consider acceptable), and that's a pretty limited machine. So your options are finance or buy used.

Done with first question. I got it, not possible !
So I have another dummy question : on a 3 Axis CNC Vertical Milling Machine (60,000 should be ok for this only) can be added on the existing table, a Rotary Table so it can be used as a Lathe too ?

OP specified "new",
Eek. Buried in the text, missed that (where's the duncecap emoticon ?)

But the whole question was reallty dumb. For a prismatic part envelope in that size, why in the hell would you want vertical ? Most of that trunnion stuff is shit. Betcha fifty cents most of what he wants to do can be done better on a standard ol' hmc anyway.

By the time people really need five axes they are smarter than to ask these beginner questions.

So your options are finance or buy used.
For that part size the KT woulda been tits. Oh well. Here today, gone tomorrow.

Done with first question. I got it, not possible !
So I have another dummy question : on a 3 Axis CNC Vertical Milling Machine (60,000 should be ok for this only) can be added on the existing table, a Rotary Table so it can be used as a Lathe too ?

If all you have is a VMC and you need to do some turning, just put your stock in a toolholder and put some lathe tools on the table gang style. (Gangnam style?)

I did this on our VF-3SS for a short run of turning:
Turning 34 Stainless on the Haas VF-3SS - YouTube

Back