What's new
What's new

Please help. Question on surfacing an angle with a ball mill. Okuma osp300

Bigdmunz

Plastic
I'm surfacing a tungsten angle plate with a ball mill. We used a 4 flute 2 mm ball mill to surface prior but due to the code being to long to run as a subprogram on the okuma we switched to a 6mm 6 flute ball mill. I have a rougher and semi finisher I run prior, both are 8mm.

Anyways after spending 2 days In set up and running the part that takes about 6 hours I find out the angle is good but the bottom of the part where the angle starts and is thinnest the thickness appears to be towards the high limit. There is also a break in the middle of the part where there is a different angle about an inch wide and the thickness is good but towards high on the bottom part of the angle where the part is thinner but towards the thicker part of the angle it is under low and same goes for the top of the part where the original angle picks back up and the part is at it's thickest it is running low. I would of considered it possibly being a profile tool but since the 2nd angle that is 1 inch wide and different and is in the middle of the part is consistent I have to rule this out.

We face the part on op1 and put some thru holes in it along with 4 threaded holes that we attach to the op2 fixture thru the bottom of it and locate it on a schunk fixturing system. Anyways since I know it's flat cuz I'm facing it on op1 and then locating on threads on a fixture that's been used before to make this part my question is would changing to the 6 mm ball mill have this affect on the part being low towards the back of the angle where the part is thicker. It isn't a misload it is very consistent because I ran 2 pieces like this identical. Any reply is appreciated. Thanks and have a good day.

did you generate this program from a CAM system? look for output errors... If it's all a flat surface the code should be very repetitive - and could maybe be made much shorter with a loop.

Why a sub program? Are you using Hi-cut pro? If so what is the tolerance?

I've run surfacing programs that were in excess of 500K lines..you need large program mode turned on but they run fine

Back