What's new
What's new

please, how would you cut this blind hole ?

deadlykitten

Banned
hello :) after seeing some posts, i thought to ask you about your opinion to deliver this :

milimeters : o26.50 [ +0.13 ] x 182 [ +3 ] in normal steel, on lathe

hole is checked with :
... go caliber o26.50[±0.003] x 190
... no go caliber o26.63[±0.003] x short :)

inches : o1.0433 [ +0.0051 ] x 7.1654 [ +0.1181 ]
hole is checked with :
... go caliber o1.0433 [±0.00011] x 7.4803
... no go caliber o1.0484 [±0.00011] x short :)

many parts, so to do not worry about custom tools :)

surface rugozity does not matter ...

bottom shape may be drill

once per year i craft those parts :) thank you :)

Last edited:
The operation you describe is like... the easiest thing in machining. Can I come and work for you? You'll be impressed!

hello guys :) thank you for replies so far :)

i think i made a mistake : by "bottom shape may be drill" i mean that the bottom can have an angle of 120...140degress, so it is not required to be flat

sorry :) my english, my bad !

Drill and then use a flatbottom drill to clean up the bottom of the hole

hy SpeedsandFeeds :) drills alone can not deliver stable setup

Can I come and work for you? You'll be impressed!

hy WABOOM :) you are welcome any time :)

It would basically be this easy on fanuc. Check math for tolerance values specs. I'm American.

(1.122 inch diam. 135° COBALT DRILL, LONG)

G30 UO. W0.
G97 S175 M3
M8
T0101
G0 G54
Z.1
X0.
G83 Z-7.16 R0.1 Q4. F0.004
G80
G0 Z1.0
X8. M9
G30 U0. W0.

Just for inch guys,
This is a 1.12 inch hole 7 inches deep with a .005 tolerance so it's over 6:1 L/D.
Just for giggles assume the OP wants a trusted process control limit on the batch within 50% of the tolerance as any good machinist would shoot for.......
Bob

Drill 1-3/32 " run 1" solid carbide bar for finish. Not sure if "normal steel" is better than abnormal steel, but the biggest challenge will be chip evacuation. Thru coolant would be the best route IMO.

R

Just for inch guys,
This is a 1.12 inch hole 7 inches deep with a .005 tolerance so it's over 6:1 L/D.
Just for giggles assume the OP wants a trusted process control limit on the batch within 50% of the tolerance as any good machinist would shoot for.......
Bob

I ass-u-me that the opp already knows how to run it, as he says that he runs it every year.

I also ass-u-me that he is baiting us in - since he seems to know how to doo every other question posed on the board. It would seem hard to imagine that he needs help here...

But - I don't see why anyone would need more than a 28.5 spade drill for the app.

---------------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Drill 1-3/32 " run 1" solid carbide bar for finish

hy litlerob, there are a lot of vibrations when the knife goes that deep :)

in original post i typed 8 instead of 6; sorry :)

i have updated post#1 with dimensions in inches, but i am not sure about the number of digits that i should have used ....

I ass-u-me that ... I don't see why anyone would need more than a 28.5 spade drill for the app

if i may : hy ass-u-me :) the go caliber does not fit after the drill, because the hole is long :) it feets sometimes, when the insert is new, but not all new inserts deliver a good hole :)

is a 7D hole that is checked with a caliber as long as the hole

if you drill a o10x2D hole, with a o10h7 short drill, than a go caliber o10[±0.003] x [>2D] may enter untill the bottom
if you drill a o10x4D hole, with a o10h7 long drill ( + pilot hole, etc ), than a go caliber o10[±0.003] x [>4D] may not enter untill the bottom

kindly !

hy litlerob, there are a lot of vibrations when the knife goes that deep :)

in original post i typed 8 instead of 6; sorry :)

i have updated post#1 with dimensions in inches, but i am not sure about the number of digits that i should have used ....

if i may : hy ass-u-me :) the go caliber does not fit after the drill, because the hole is long :) it feets sometimes, when the insert is new, but not all new inserts deliver a good hole :)

is a 7D hole that is checked with a caliber as long as the hole

if you drill a o10x2D hole, with a o10h7 short drill, than a go caliber o10[±0.003] x [>2D] may enter untill the bottom
if you drill a o10x4D hole, with a o10h7 long drill ( + pilot hole, etc ), than a go caliber o10[±0.003] x [>4D] may not enter untill the bottom

kindly !

Not sure what you're getting at here, this is a really basic operation. That can be done a few different ways, especially with the allowance of a drill point. The easiest and simplest way will be to drill it to size. Don't change drills out if they are both cutting to size just do it in one shot. If you need to get the spade drill going you only need enough of a spot, center, stub length drill whatever to get it started. I have no idea what your tooling availability, machine capacity, or financial restraints are, but you can get a .75 diameter bar from Sandvick that will run 10:1 all day $$$$$

R

I don't know what Mr. Kitten has for equipment, but I'd like to do that job with a short carbide drill to establish a pilot, then gun drill the balance with a well designed (replaceable pads and insert) gun drill with 70 bar or so through coolant. Should be a doddle...

Edit: Or just a regular carbide-tipped gun drill that can be reground a number of times. Should last quite a while, get two so you always have a sharp one.

I don't think I'd want to bore this hole, too slow and dealing with chips is annoying.

but you can get a .75 diameter bar from Sandvick that will run 10:1

hy litlerob :) i will check again tomorrow for such a tool; last time i checked i did not look at Sandvick :)

... well designed (replaceable pads and insert) gun drill

hy Milland :) yup, something like that ... so far i used integral tools, but lately i also started thinking of replaceble inserts, etc

Or just a regular carbide-tipped gun drill that can be reground a number of times

this is also a good idea, however such tools arround here are not so common

I don't think I'd want to bore this hole, too slow and dealing with chips is annoying

so far i could not avoid this operation

the go_caliber is as long as the hole, so if i only drill, than the caliber wont fit, because the drill is long and it vibrates; kindly !

Mr. Kitten

kitten is not suposed to be a Mr :) deadly is more than enough :)

I've seen their pointy little claws, adding "deadly" to "kitten" is redundant. If I got the "Mr" wrong I apologize, sometimes it's tough to get honorifics correct on the internet.

You can order carbide-tipped gun drills from a variety of sources around the world, with a short, relatively large diameter like you're dealing with they shouldn't be too expensive or hard to get. The short pilot drill means you won't need fancy fixturing to make it work, except for the through coolant adapter/pump if you don't already have one at hand.

Should be repeatable, accurate, straight and on axis, reasonably fast, and no worries about chip evacuation. Just be sure to give the vendor enough information so they can make the tip geometry correct, which means materials you're cutting, hardness, etc. Maybe get them to specify the correct pilot drill grind, or have them supply it.

You can order carbide-tipped gun drills from a variety of sources around the world

hy Milland :) i look a while ago for such tools at the vendors arround here that i know, but they did not provide such tools

i will look again ... kindly !

I've seen their pointy little claws, adding "deadly" to "kitten" is redundant

not all cats / kitties with pointy little claws are also "deadly"

i am deadly, i have claws, but i dont use them :) i believe in
non intrusive methods and i mean no harm :)

Back