What's new
What's new

Please recommend boring head for my haas!!

Lazyman

Aluminum
I need to bore some 22.2mm holes in 6061 AL with my Haas VF2 and need some recommendations on decent boring heads. I don't have a lot of time to shop around and research but I see Criterion recommended a lot.

Thanks

A 3" Criterion with a CAT40 adapter should be fairly cheap on Ebay if you're trying to save some bucks. And I'd go that direction rather than China or low-grade USA like APT (the one I have I never use).

Not sure if you'll find a metric reading head, but with a little care conversion isn't that big a deal. Just don't plan any Mars missions with it.

Forgot to write that, its plus minus .05mm. I could get away with interpolating the hole, but a lot is riding on this job with short lead time so I need to make sure I have everything in in order and "perfect"

[ 22.2 ± 0.05 ] * depth ?

I could get away with interpolating the hole, but a lot is riding on this job with short lead time so I need to make sure I have everything in in order and "perfect"

hy Lazyman / interpolating may be faster than the boring head, and i think you allready have the tools for that :)

also, during boring, you can not input fast corections like when a helix is there :)

a boring head takes too much time to be configured, etc, etc, etc :)

Hello lazyman,
I would suggest a 3" Critereon , but most importantly do not bore faster than 1000 RPM ,on any metal.
otrlt

[ 22.2 ± 0.05 ] * depth ?

hy Lazyman / interpolating may be faster than the boring head, and i think you allready have the tools for that :)

also, during boring, you can not input fast corections like when a helix is there :)

a boring head takes too much time to be configured, etc, etc, etc :)

Depth is only 8mm. I just want to pick something out should I need it. I have interpolated other jobs that really should have been bored but worked out just fine. I may just try interpolating first and measuring it. I may pick up a boring head because I probably will need it down the road as well.

I may pick up a boring head because I probably will need it down the road as well

hy :) i thought also something like that ... about the boring head, i have encounterd once a situation when it was delivered with the taper shank for the machine, but it did not made proper contact

we send it back, wait a few months, no answer etc :)

after a while i bougth something else from swiss ( another vendor ) : http://www.swisstools.org/E/downloads_catalogs.php

... have a happy excentric life :)

Those look very nice. I wish I had more time to research. Also I misread the print (as usual) and its -0 +.05mm so a little tighter. I wish tooling suppliers would start just selling stuff online and display prices so I can quickly see whats in my budget or not. Very frustrating.

i hate dimensions like whatever+0 or whatever-0 :) about prices, they are not fix; depends on quantity, and how often you buy, etc, and intermediate sellers may have their own price scale, etc

sometimes it may be a better deal not to buy directly, but by an intermediate seller / just saying :)

For fucks sake I interpolate holes in 17-4 on a cnc Bridgeport half that tolerance...program it, dial it in with wear comp and let it rip. Boring head for a +.002 tolerance...what is this 1964?

For fucks sake I interpolate holes in 17-4 on a cnc Bridgeport half that tolerance...program it, dial it in with wear comp and let it rip. Boring head for a +.002 tolerance...what is this 1964?

If it is 1964 I need to hit the Chevy dealerships to see if there is any left over split windows lurking around..and start saving for some Microsoft stock..seems like I am forgetting something else.
Gary

hey Lazyman, this is why i recomended the helix approach and asked for depth, because excentrics are more for the classical mill

well, you know your kitchen better than anyone, so i am just saying :)

helix_on_cnc is faster than excentric_on_clasic :)

reasons to put an excentric knife on a cnc :
... when helix can not deliver required depth, thus excentric may go deeper
... when tolerances are tight, and :
...... cnc has backlash, or
...... cnc has not sufficient precision : for example a cnc with 3um precision and 5um repetability wont be as comfortable as one with 1um precision and absoencoders :)

if you are in doubts, please also consider this : Vulcanaire(R) Grinding System

it is a very nice thing

no worries if you put it on a classical mill, but be aware not to lose guarantee if you put it inside a cnc mill :) .... i mean not to lose guarantee for the cnc_mill :)

Guess I'll show my age. Contouring sucks, boring gives you round straight holes.

The Criterion is okay but a better deal is to make your own. Use the Devlieg boring inserts that are adjustable. They had some cool model name but I forget what it is now ... micro-something ? They work super, easy to adjust, accurate, repeat until the cows come home, balanced so they don't shake the spindle, good stuff. You can also buy the bars in the smaller sizes ready to go.

We have three Criterion's all different sizes (VF-3 & VF-4). One has the fine adjustment and it is really nice.
I recently used it to single point turn 4mm bosses on a part. Used a left hand indexable bar.
The repeatability was amazing. When I have a lot of bores to do I use the Haas cycle that stops at the bottom.
Indexes and rapids out. Works great, saves times and doesn't rake bore coming out.
People seem to be determined to interpolate close bores but I think if they actually measure the roundness they would be amazed what the hole measures. I know you guys with the high dollar Japanese machines will disagree.
But with a Haas it's the only way to go.

Guess I'll show my age. Contouring sucks, boring gives you round straight holes.

The Criterion is okay but a better deal is to make your own. Use the Devlieg boring inserts that are adjustable. They had some cool model name but I forget what it is now ... micro-something ? They work super, easy to adjust, accurate, repeat until the cows come home, balanced so they don't shake the spindle, good stuff. You can also buy the bars in the smaller sizes ready to go.

They're Universal Devlieg Microbore Units - very nice, but last I checked, pricey. And I'm not sure how popular they were/are, so finding them used might prove a challenge. But definitely a quality unit.

For this job, I really don't think a boring head is necessary, even if it produces a 'better' hole. It's a shallow hole, +/- .001" - just interpolate it and be done.

They're Universal Devlieg Microbore Units - very nice, but last I checked, pricey. And I'm not sure how popular they were/are, so finding them used might prove a challenge. But definitely a quality unit.

For this job, I really don't think a boring head is necessary, even if it produces a 'better' hole. It's a shallow hole, +/- .001" - just interpolate it and be done.

devlieg boring bars are much better. the fine adjust ones can easily be set to .0001"
also when using the special spring washer you can adjust .005" without loosening, just turn dial as much as needed without adjusting lock screw. hard to describe but they really are 10x better and easier to use

Attachments

• BoringBar1.jpg
    BoringBar1.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 206
  • BoringBar2.jpg
    BoringBar2.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 292
  • BoringHeadAluminum.jpg
    BoringHeadAluminum.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 219
  • BoringHoles.jpg
    BoringHoles.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 138

:D. I'm self taught so unfortunately have to ask these 1964 type of questions.

Back