What's new
What's new

Polar interpolation help

8strings8rounds

Plastic
Hi, I'm new here and this is my first post..
I am programming and running a DMG Gildemeister Sprint 20/5 Swiss machine equipped with Fanuc 32i model B
We run tool steel and make blanks with squares (4 flats at one end)
Mr. Bossman bought this machine because he was told "squares are free"- meaning we can square on the sub while turning on the main.
Here's the problem: NO Y AXIS on the sub. Live tooling, yes, but I'm limited to polar interpolation (G12.1) using X and C. I'm using a carbide, .375" end mill and what's happening is my speeds and feeds are amounting to a painfully long cut time.
I use a tiny indexable mill on the main and it can crank through parts like nothing, and the inserts are cheap and last long. The carbide end mill on the sub breaks down quick and costs 5x that of a set of 4sided indexable inserts..
Bossman is convinced there's a better way.
I don't know if there is?

Sorry for the long, rant-like post, but I'm lost.
Tooling suggestions, speeds/feeds, anything would be much appreciated.

Thank you

Hello,

Did you ever figure out a solution to this problem? I run several of these machines and man, that machine does not seem like a good choice for you application. DMG seems to be pretty good at making people think that something is perfect for certain use cases and will like a charm. Reality usually ends up being very different from that. They have a 20-8 (not the linear/classic version) that is the same foot print but with a Y-axis with 4 live tools pointing down at the sub spindle. The downside is that there isn't any live tools parallel to the spindle, just 3 20mm pockets (like the two on your machine).

Back