What's new
What's new

Post your awkward moment of the day!

crb06

Aluminum
Today for me I was running a 2 parts in a Haas CNC Mill, cycle time about 5 minuets and some change. Well that gives me just enough time to measure and make sure both parts are in tolerance and check the threads.

The awkward moment for me was my boss was standing there and I forgot to press the 'Cycle Start' button to run the next parts! Haha!

Ok I'll bite....

So I'm at the hardinge drilling and tapping 1/4"-20 and it's time to tune up the drill. Head over to the grinder and when I get there one of the newer guys is standing at the green wheels grinding on something round about the size of a softball. WTF? Me.. Hey what you doing? Him..Nothing. I start sharpening my drill and then he kinda walks away.

Little while later I'm headed back to the grinder and guess who is at the green wheels again? Me..Hey what is that? Him..It's a piece granite. :mad5: Me..listen dip shit those wheels are for carbide and I have to sharpen tool bits on them. Him..They aren't your wheels! Me..By God I just made them mine! Now get the fuck out of here before I start telling everyone what your doing. And furthermore I don't care what you do but when your idiot government job make my job suck I have a problem with it and you!

Not a awkward moment for me but maybe him because of the unbelievably stupid stunt. And this guy calls himself a toolmaker. It's a good thing I quit drinking whiskey at work! Lol...

Brent

I forgot to turn the coolant back on after turning it off to check the previous part. I now have a 3/4" rougher with aluminum filled flutes. The dog gave me a funny look as I was swearing at myself for the screw up.

Toss the rougher in some lye, caustic, sodium hydroxide and in a short time the aluminum will all be gone and the mill be like new.

Ok I'll bite....

So I'm at the hardinge drilling and tapping 1/4"-20 and it's time to tune up the drill. Head over to the grinder and when I get there one of the newer guys is standing at the green wheels grinding on something round about the size of a softball. WTF? Me.. Hey what you doing? Him..Nothing. I start sharpening my drill and then he kinda walks away.

Little while later I'm headed back to the grinder and guess who is at the green wheels again? Me..Hey what is that? Him..It's a piece granite. :mad5: Me..listen dip shit those wheels are for carbide and I have to sharpen tool bits on them. Him..They aren't your wheels! Me..By God I just made them mine! Now get the fuck out of here before I start telling everyone what your doing. And furthermore I don't care what you do but when your idiot government job make my job suck I have a problem with it and you!

Not a awkward moment for me but maybe him because of the unbelievably stupid stunt. And this guy calls himself a toolmaker. It's a good thing I quit drinking whiskey at work! Lol...

Brent

Hell if i said that to a guy at my work i would get a day no pay because i hurt his fucking feelings welcome to Ontario and bill 168. Good for you Brent!!! A more on is a more on!!! Brent vote on thur for skilled trades VOTE STRIKE!!!

So many.

My most memorable one, I was running a Mori SL-3 on some saw cut slugs. The foreman comes up to talk to me just as I loaded a slug that was cut too long. The first tool comes in, rips the slug out of the jaws and throws it thru the window right between me and him.
That was the only long one in the whole damn batch.

I was a young engineer working in a very prestigious design engineering lab at a famous company. I submitted a prototype job to the machine shop - some high precision hardened and ground spacer washers for a computer peripheral assembly. I expected it to take a week or so and was surprised when I got a call that same afternoon to come get my parts. I asked how it went and if they had any problems. NO PROBLEMS he said and he assured me they were all TO SPEC.

When I got to the shop there were several machinists standing around - strange right - they were always so busy - supposedly anyway! I opened the sack the foreman handed me and found it full of chips - nothing but chips.

I stood there puzzled - what the heck - then the laughter started. The foreman asked - is there a problem - they are to print aren't they - and he held up the print with the ID and OD circled in red. The ID was larger than the OD!

To make matters even worse - he insisted I sign off the job slip as "completed and accepted by engineering"! He then said that he had to charge me an hour of shop time because they spent that much time standing around laughing about it.

So I come home from the shop and my son asks if I have any small roller bearings out in the garage?? I ask, Why??? He says "Im trying to make a fidget spinner, and the bearings I took out of my skate board suck!" I had heard about these spinner things about three weeks ago on a John Grismo video on You tube. Just kind of passed it off, like Yea, thats a waste. Any ways, my son says he wants to buy one from one if his friends at school. I tell him to draw it up and we can make one better. So I go to the computer to look these things up and I could not believe all the hype about these things. What the hell, Just last week I believe Bob W posted about how people will buy stupid shit, well, here you go , Proof . Now if I could just make a bunch of these stupid things and sell them to all his friends :scratchchin:

So I come home from the shop and my son asks if I have any small roller bearings out in the garage?? I ask, Why??? He says "Im trying to make a fidget spinner, and the bearings I took out of my skate board suck!" I had heard about these spinner things about three weeks ago on a John Grismo video on You tube. Just kind of passed it off, like Yea, thats a waste. Any ways, my son says he wants to buy one from one if his friends at school. I tell him to draw it up and we can make one better. So I go to the computer to look these things up and I could not believe all the hype about these things. What the hell, Just last week I believe Bob W posted about how people will buy stupid shit, well, here you go , Proof . Now if I could just make a bunch of these stupid things and sell them to all his friends :scratchchin:

Go read the recent thread here about one of our members making them with his grand kid... Who then got in trouble for selling them at school.

So yeah, make 'em, sell 'em, just don't do it at school!

One more.
Every Thurs. the local pizza place stopped at the shop with fresh made pizzas. The cute office girl bought one of those personal-sized ones and went to her desk to eat. A little while later I had to ask her a question about matl for an upcoming job. She was just about to eat the last piece as I walked up.

Noticing that I didn't eat she said "You look hungry. Do you want this piece?"
Seeing all the toppings that had fallen off in the box, I said "No that's OK. I'll just lick your box when your done."

I immediately realized how that sounded and turned beet red. She busted out laughing.

After lunch she walked up to my desk, set down the empty pizza box, smiled and walked away.

My first name is Richard, but everyone calls me Dick. One morning I was unwrapping some parts that had just come in by UPS. I was looking for something to sign the packing slip with when our attractive administrative assistant came by and asked " Do you have a pencil Dick?". I told her no I didn't. We both cracked up.

boy oh boy, can I play this?

Because I can't recall a single day when nothing awkward happen at our 'office'. Got so many... from a colleague questioning my religion "genuinely asking if I am Satan's disciple based on my musical/genre tastes", -to- having the mistress of the other colleague showing up topless asking for the f n car keys (she said, I think lol).

Not work or shop related....but pretty funny.

My son is 30....when he was about 3 me and him were at the grocery store. I had him sitting in the front of the cart and I pushed our cart into the line. There was a woman in front of us checking out. As I started putting our stuff on the belt, I hear the boy say "Dad....Dad..." I turned around and said " what?" he was pointing at the woman in front of us and said in a real loud voice " THATS THE BIGGEST BUTT I HAVE EVER SEEN" His eyes were huge...(so was her butt)....I tried to quiet him a bit....the woman obviously heard him but ignored him (I am sure that was not the first time she had heard it.....it was BIG)....I tried distracting him ....it didnt work. "DAD....DOES IT HURT WHEN YOUR BUTT IS THAT BIG"? .....I grabbed the couple of items back off the belt and damn near sprinted to the other end of the store to let Ms. Bigbutt check out in peace....

Thank you for yalls post! I am glad that I am not the only one that forgets to do something obvious, although I am a new guy at the shop I work at so most of them would laugh if they had seen that

45 years ago i was an 18 year old apprentice. In the first few months of employment the toolmaker I was assigned to was going to show me how to clean a file, so he told me to get him a file card. I went in the office and got a 3 by 5 paper file card. I still get a kick out of that.

Many years ago we had a Whitney punch press that had been fitted with a plasma head. The guys in the shop asked if I could make them some coat hangers on the machine. "Sure, I can do that!"
So I brought the program out to the machine and the operator burned one out and handed it to me just as the boss walked up and asked "Why are we making coat hangers on this machine?"

All I could answer was "To see if we could?"

So the shop guys had to make due with wire coat hangers despite my efforts to make plasma cut aluminum ones.

on long running parts where cycle time can be 4 to 8 hours some guys were playing solitaire on computer for 1/2 hour after doing setups and changing dull tools. on a saturday working overtime the big boss comes up and says hello to operator playing on computer.
told him many times use computer where screen does not face people walking by can see whats on the screen. next monday IT guy comes around removing all the games from the computers

I was getting on a Southwest Air flight. By paying $30 extra I had managed to get the same aisle seat on the exit door row for 11 flights in a row. This time there was a very tall blonde sitting in MY seat. She looked at me and said "You know I am over 6 feet tall and need the leg room. I got the implication that I am not very tall, 5'8". I said "No problem, I've always had a thing for tall women and I don't mind" Then I sat down next to her! Beautiful blonde in a business suit and heels on an early morning flight. So I took a guess at what she does for a living and then asked, nailed it too. Pharmaceutical Sales!

We have a Marvel vertical bandsaw in our shop and kept having trouble with the coolant going sour. My uncle kept accusing us of spitting in it and cutting dirty steel (he never used it anyway, just liked to complain). after cleaning it out a couple times and having it turn sour within a month, we finally found out what was causing it. My uncle's dog would come into the shop and piss in the coolant tray.

We have a Marvel vertical bandsaw in our shop and kept having trouble with the coolant going sour. My uncle kept accusing us of spitting in it and cutting dirty steel (he never used it anyway, just liked to complain). after cleaning it out a couple times and having it turn sour within a month, we finally found out what was causing it. My uncle's dog would come into the shop and piss in the coolant tray.

Man, that reminded me of a similar coolant mystery. Had a Spray-Mist (remember those were all the rage 40 years ago until somebody figured out it would give you emphysema) mounted on a Bridgeport, and over a week it started getting progressively stinkier, you know that drunkard's-puke smell that whitish water-soluble oil used to develop. Of course everybody at other shops had their favorite remedy, a product called Kill-Cide being the biggest seller. Tried that and it basically exchanged the putrid stench for a noxious chemical/poison stench. After a few days it was back to being unbearable so I reluctantly decided to just scrap the coolant. The whole idea of the Spray-Mist had been to conserve coolant and money and I hated to waste it. But, in the course of dumping it out I discovered a bloated mouse who had apparently fallen in and been concealed by the lid...

Worked at a place where one of the old-timers--a mean drunk--used to spit in the pan of any lathe he walked by. Got so you had to keep an eye on him if he got close. I once saw him piss in his own machine. He was 55 and still lived with his parents. He had started working at the place when he was 19. Just could NOT get fired. I am pretty sure he contaminated other liquids around the shop in the same way. No proof, but the Presto Black never seemed to work very well after he'd had it open...

Back