What's new
What's new

Tree VMC500 - anybody got an opinion?

swarf_rat

Titanium
There are a couple of early 2000's floating around, PC2100 controls by Siemens which I understand they bought from Vickers and then discontinued. The iron seems to be from Taiwan.

I am wondering what the experience with these machines is. Fairly cheap on the market, I assume because of the control.

What I would really like to have is a used Sharp 2412, but these are very rare on the used market right now. The Tree seems something like it - low horsepower, not too big a footprint, etc.

Anybody got one, run one, had a good or bad experience? Search turns up some questions on the control, but not a lot else.

There are a couple of early 2000's floating around, PC2100 controls by Siemens which I understand they bought from Vickers and then discontinued. The iron seems to be from Taiwan.

I am wondering what the experience with these machines is. Fairly cheap on the market, I assume because of the control.

What I would really like to have is a used Sharp 2412, but these are very rare on the used market right now. The Tree seems something like it - low horsepower, not too big a footprint, etc.

Anybody got one, run one, had a good or bad experience? Search turns up some questions on the control, but not a lot else.

I worked for a MTD in upstate NY during mid 90's, we had the Tree line. They were built by ZPS in Prague, Czech Republic. The iron could be from Taiwan, but never had a problem with it. We had a lot of happy customers. Most of them were mold & die shops. I haven't seen one in a long time. Good luck with your search.

I'm pretty sure they were built in Czechoslovakia, at least that's what I remember. I'm talking maybe in the 1990's. They had one opened up for inspection. It was really husky.
Never heard anything negative about them.

Those fellows in the Eastern Block build machines so big you can ride around on the end mill.

Regards,

Stan-

Thanks for the replies.

From my research, I believe these were made as almost completed machines by ZPS in Czech Republic. I am concerned about support/repairability, though ZPS still has a presence in the US. The drive motors are Yaskawa so probably fixable, the control is PC based but from reports can have HDD issues and runs on Windows Nt which is getting a bit old. I guess they have linear slideways, not sure if that is a good or a bad thing.

Anyway, whatever information anyone has will be appreciated.

Back