What's new
What's new

Production drilling Inco-625. Drill suggestions?

Dylad

Aluminum
Hi guys. We have a mill job that requires us to drill a few thousand holes a year in the sides of some Inco-625 bar. I inherited the job and program, and right now I'm starting out with the same tooling that was used previously, but I am open to suggestions on anything that might last longer. The two hole sizes are 1/8" and 7/32", 0.200" and 0.300" deep respectively. Current program pecks with a cobalt center drill, then goes in with TiAlN cobalt stub drills. No through-coolant on the mill, unfortunately. Any thoughts to make this a bit less painful?

Thanks!

How bout a spot drill for spotting? One or two flute carbide (or even cobalt if you need the flexibility) spot drill should last longer than a center drill, and improve the longevity of your following drills, I would think.

Thanks for all the suggestions- much appreciated. I'll update this when I come up with some actual tool life comparison #'s with a new process.

Saw that I never updated this and thought I should, since I myself often run into the frustration of threads with no closure or concrete information/results.

We're still using cobalt drills for most of our applications. We invested in some carbide 142° spot drills and some high quality ER collets, and keep a very careful eye on our coolant concentration levels, and our tool life is what I consider to be excellent- hundreds of holes out of some drills.

Hi guys. We have a mill job that requires us to drill a few thousand holes a year in the sides of some Inco-625 bar. I inherited the job and program, and right now I'm starting out with the same tooling that was used previously, but I am open to suggestions on anything that might last longer. The two hole sizes are 1/8" and 7/32", 0.200" and 0.300" deep respectively. Current program pecks with a cobalt center drill, then goes in with TiAlN cobalt stub drills. No through-coolant on the mill, unfortunately. Any thoughts to make this a bit less painful?

Thanks!

usually the shorter the length of a drill bit sticking out the better. literally often 200% faster drilling is often done with shorter tooling.
some drills like parabolic or certain carbide drills are made for less pecking if any needed. but it might take time for time savings to pay for extra tooling costs

1/8*0.2 > 3.18*5
7/32*0.3 > 5.55*7.62

what about direct machining with custom carbide tool ? thus without center drill ?

what about submerging the part under coolant, inside special tank ?

hy :) what about machining at least 2 holes simultaneously ?

I think he would need 2 machines kindly :) Or 2 spindles kindly:)

This and the above are good examples of what they call in psychiatric fraternities as "batshitcrazy", if ANYONE knows what the hell these posts mean, please be the translator!!

1/8*0.2 does not have inequality greater than 3.18*5
7/32*0.3 does not have inequality greater than 5.55*7.62

Seriously if anyone knows what this means I'm just curious.

You need to apply "Aland Logic" :nutter: (Sorry, but there's no emoji of a guy jerking off)

But there is this old one :dopeslap: Just a little funny, so it doesn't apply.

As far as "Aland logic" Aland was one of St Paul's translators, and would use his own interpretations to do so. Now that is funny!!!!!

hello all :) i did not used ">" with the meaning of "greater than" ... it is an issue with my laptop keyboard, and using ">" instead of ":" works just fine for me

however, for a sharp reader, that should not be an impediment :) it is an inch>mm conversion, and represents a note to my self

i saw that this thread is old, but if setup has future repetability, than a custom holder, with at least 2 rotary outputs may help :) + others suggestions posted

hello all :)

however, for a sharp reader, that should not be an impediment :) it is an inch>mm conversion, and represents a note to my self

[/COLOR]

Smart reader be F***ked. Those with experience and knowledge simply disregard your Post. The concern is for the newbies that come to this Forum for help and read the Shite that you and Johnny Larue regurgitate and think it may be true.

So what would a Newbie take from your Post #12? The numbers have no relevance other than to yourself.

Back