What's new
What's new

Video of my homemade indexer

I showed pics of this a while ago. well here is a short video. The machine is able to detect what position the indexer is in and what location is wanted. It will then select a certain subprogram to index to the desired location. 0, 90, 180, or 270. When it is done indexing if it is not in the right position it will alarm out. No chance of the machine crashing or making holes on the wrong side. Also when it is done indexing 6500 lbs of force is clamping by 28 individual air cylinders that I made on a plate. The entire mechanism is in a oil bath. I machine 6 pieces at a time. From paper to product in about 2 months. I designed and programmed everything. Total parts around $3500.

No chance of the machine crashing or making holes on the wrong side.
You should not tempt the machining gods.

LOL

Real nice job, that is an impressive bit of engineering to say the least. Appreciate the video too.

Dave

Can you give us more details? I've been looking at building a 4th axis. I have the drive and servo but need to build the mechanism . Its the 0 backlash on the worm drive part that concerns me the most. I think I have a way around that however. I'd like to hear how you designed yours, where you got the parts etc.

I was just thinking that Mari tool guy is pretty bright. I can't even figure out how to post a video here and he's building indexers from scratch.

LOL

Dave

Clean the light Frank

Why can't I find someone around here like you that needs a job? ;)
Great job on the indexer, I could use a couple multi-spindle indexers if you want to build them in your spare time. :D

Danny

Thanks D. Sometimes people get good ideas when they are pushed between a rock and a hard place. The customer needed more parts and we didn't want to invest in another machine. So this was the best solution.

Hi folks of the CNC.. (I dont usually come into these hallowed halls... but I have a question.. Hpw do you produce mirror finish shafts (approx 15mm dim) and 50cm long..? I took such a one out of an old Canon photocopier and it is truly a fabulously accurate piece of rod/shaft. It is well within one tenth in all its length and has a PERFECT finish. My manual lathe cannot match it in any way without some extra lapping activity but this Canon seems to have been straight from the lathe as it has lots of small 'slots' along its length. MUST be CNC as these things were made in thousands.

Would appreciate some info.

Best regards

Rod (Scotland)

Back