What's new
What's new

Flush mount cutter, only game in town...work well?

SIM

Titanium
Welcome to Peterson Flush Arbor: Our Products

I have seen adds for this setup for some time...anyone use one before, something similar? Are there options that I am missing. I need to cut a relief for a clamping mechanism flush to base of part and have not come up with any other solutions.

I'd buy this...but kind of know the best case scenario for finish with those cutters is a not quite what I need. Now extending off an unsupported arbor I see results being less then acceptable...but maybe I have no choice and will have to hand finish after cutting, unless I am missing something.

Thanks

I am using one. It works great, for a saw cutting arbor, but on the other hand, it's still just a saw cutting arbor. That means it has that same runout issue that all arbors have. I wonder why that is, but still, it works great. Nice that you can get your cutter flush to the end without having a holding nut sticking out beyond the cutter. It allows you to get that part deeper into the vise.

As far as finish goes, it's on par with any other sawmill arbor and cutter. I never had to worry about finishes on these types of cuts, so I can't tell you if you can get a great finish or not.

Good enough for me...I'll put my order in today. Thanks

Slitting saw is best I would expect which is marginal for my needs...but not a whole lot of choice in the matter....at least not that I can see.

I think you'll be happy with it. It's very well made, takes a little finess to get things mounted on it because if its design. Not a big deal though.

If you get one ,

Please post later on results , I would like to know how well it works ,

Good luck , ...................... Make some chips

OOOO I want one but for a home shop guy a little pricey when I don't have a right now need for it. But for sure let us know how it works out.

I had bought one with a Cat40 taper a few months back, a month after purchase I bought one with a Bt40 taper also. Use them all the time.

I like these as the way they grip the cutter is an expanding collet of sorts, centers the cutter better then any arbor I have used. They're nice arbors imo, worth every penny.

I had bought one with a Cat40 taper a few months back, a month after purchase I bought one with a Bt40 taper also. Use them all the time.

I like these as the way they grip the cutter is an expanding collet of sorts, centers the cutter better then any arbor I have used. They're nice arbors imo, worth every penny.

I wanted the Cat40- but needed a smaller hub to get in where I needed to reach, so 1-1/4 straight shank it is.

Appreciate the input.

The saw holder I made up for myself when just starting out has only a .125 flange at the bottom. ;Still use it regularly.

For those distressed by the saw running "ECCENTRIC" stop to realize that variable pitch band saws are common and effective.

As long as the metal removal runs along, I could care less if several teeth are doing more work than a bunch of the rest. What the rhythmic sound is really telling me is that I can up the feed rate to advantage.

I could care less if several teeth are doing more work than a bunch of the rest.

I think you meant you "couldn't" care less?

Anyway, if it runs eccentric like that, it makes it pretty hard to calculate the chip load per tooth, if you like to figure that out or not.

I think you meant you "couldn't" care less?

Anyway, if it runs eccentric like that, it makes it pretty hard to calculate the chip load per tooth, if you like to figure that out or not.

As colloquialisms, could care or could not care express the same meaning, at least in my region.....
And I do care about chip load, Having done the math on run out (usually less than .001 regardless of how it sounds. and a chip load at least three times that,

The bark and the bite seem a bit unrelated.

I do suggest that we all MEASURE run out from time to time, and as a poster on this forum but another thread made reference, re position/ re mount the slitting saw from time to time. (though I think the 3/32 saw has been mounted on that arbor for several hours worth of cutting time over many years now..... ;-) Still seems to move metal just fine

As colloquialisms, could care or could not care express the same meaning, at least in my region.....
And I do care about chip load, Having done the math on run out (usually less than .001 regardless of how it sounds. and a chip load at least three times that,

The bark and the bite seem a bit unrelated.

I do suggest that we all MEASURE run out from time to time, and as a poster on this forum but another thread made reference, re position/ re mount the slitting saw from time to time. (though I think the 3/32 saw has been mounted on that arbor for several hours worth of cutting time over many years now..... ;-) Still seems to move metal just fine

I guess I never did really check what that run out is. If it's that small, then yes, I agree it's pretty insignificant.

Could care, or Could not care, are opposites. They can't mean the same thing. Most people mis-quote that phrase. When you say, "I could care less"..... that indicates there is some level of caring. But when you say, "I couldn't care less".....then you're saying you've hit the bottom. There's no possibility of caring less.

Sorry to nit pik, I'm not trying to be a grammar nazi. :cheers:

Back