What's new
What's new

Prototrak LPM VMC anybody used one?

A.Delaney

Aluminum
I've used the lathes and bedmills. They worked good for the one off stuff we did. I'm not buying one or anything. Just curious about there performance since I am familiar with the programming.

I have not, but am curious about the control capabilities. For instance, trichoidal paths?

I think it is doable but probably at a slower feed rate than desirable. You are probably talking about a really low number of parts. I have Proto Traks myself , they will accept Fanuc 6M programming. Best I remember these come with belt drive servo's. Not the most desirable for HSM but doable. No look ahead with that control and can you drip feed that much code to the machine ? I have a little bit older Fanuc 0 M, may have came out after the Fanuc 6, I can run some HSM paths with. It doesn't like to turn 90 degree corners very fast. I cut a piece of 304SS last week at 470sfm, 1.00 doc, 72ipm, .0037 stepover. The part looked like a dogbone, not really any sharp corners to turn. The machine did really well, after I felt like I could have fed a little faster, but no look ahead and belt drive on my servos I think that was about max for my equipment. I have never cut 304ss that fast either. Just some points to consider.

We got one in as our first VMC. We were an entirely proto-trak shop up to a few years ago. It was a good step for our crew since we most of our experience was with the Trak contolers. It was a game changer and helped get us where we are now. About a year after we purchased it we got our first Okuma, then another the following year. It is mostly a second op machine for us now.

We toyed with the idea of getting rid of it but it's really handy for doing simple parts quickly. The control is a bit cumbersome, but being able to program conversationally has its benefits. I think its probably a better machine than I think it is but I cringe going back from an Okuma to that one.

We got one in as our first VMC. We were an entirely proto-trak shop up to a few years ago. It was a good step for our crew since we most of our experience was with the Trak contolers. It was a game changer and helped get us where we are now. About a year after we purchased it we got our first Okuma, then another the following year. It is mostly a second op machine for us now.

We toyed with the idea of getting rid of it but it's really handy for doing simple parts quickly. The control is a bit cumbersome, but being able to program conversationally has its benefits. I think its probably a better machine than I think it is but I cringe going back from an Okuma to that one.

Prototrak lathes too?

1630 and 1440

How did you like them? We had them all from the 1440 to the 2470.
There good lathes. I would fight chatter from time to time with them. I sometimes wondered if a machine like a Mazak for example of similar size would be more rigid. I know that's probably apples to oranges. I tend to find myself in situations using most of the bed space.

Back