What's new
What's new

Pull stud type QC clamping

ARB

Titanium
For years I've wanted to use a pull stud concept for holding fixtures in the machine. I found one eeons ago but it was really big and big bucks. Some of the zero point deals are pretty nice but also spendy and a bit bulky.

It seems like last time I was at Eastec I saw just the ticket but now that I want to use the system again I can't think of who made it.

I need a new way. I don't really want to go hydraulic for this app. I need to be able to mount my fixture on a 4 axis trunnion and onto a second op plate.

Anything I should be looking at out there?

Am I overlooking the obvious?

Orange Vise has some pretty simple ball lock type holders for their vises. Don't see why that wouldn't work for things that are not Orange.

Also you can go with the ball lock from Jergens or SpeedLoc from Modern Industries to swap out fixture plates. They work real well.

Erowa Pallet P system. They chuck is spring clamp / pneumatic disclamp. You can buy just the "spigots" as they call them (pull-studs) and the rings as separate items to put on your own pallet design. I'm using this system on the MB46 5-axis and it works great. The price is actually reasonable (not "cheap", but very reasonable for what you get).

Workholding Systems - EROWA AG (link to ready-made pallets)

Call and talk to the guys, very helpful and will treat you right.

I like the looks of the pierson unit. Just a little too big.

I will check on the Erowa stuff a little more. I always thought of them as EDM duty and not really milling duty.

Kurt has a Zero point set-up that might be the ticket. I would love to find something that worked for closer to $1,000 than $2,000 but if that is the price of admission I may have to belly up. This is a long running job on this machine.

I like the looks of the pierson unit. Just a little too big.

I will check on the Erowa stuff a little more. I always thought of them as EDM duty and not really milling duty.

Kurt has a Zero point set-up that might be the ticket. I would love to find something that worked for closer to $1,000 than $2,000 but if that is the price of admission I may have to belly up. This is a long running job on this machine.

That EROWA chuck is for milling. Same thing is used on the pallet systems for MIKRON machines. I bought the Okuma with that chuck on it and I have several others on a table where I do part exchange outside the machine. The ONLY problem I've ever had with it is if the guys don't leave the pallet on it when they wash out the machine, they fill the pull-stud hole full of chips. (Would be an issue on just about any zero-point system.)

That EROWA chuck is for milling. Same thing is used on the pallet systems for MIKRON machines. I bought the Okuma with that chuck on it and I have several others on a table where I do part exchange outside the machine. The ONLY problem I've ever had with it is if the guys don't leave the pallet on it when they wash out the machine, they fill the pull-stud hole full of chips. (Would be an issue on just about any zero-point system.)

I spent some time looking at the Erowa stuff and it does look like what I want. I will have to give them a ring and get some insight. Am I right in seeing that a single unit can be used on it's own to do axial and radial clamping? That's really what I want. Hit a valve and pop the part on the receiver and hit the valve again to clamp.

Right now we run the parts one up. I'm giving more thought to going two up to cut the tool change time. The machine is fast but it's still time. If I do that the the Pierson unit is about the right size for tow parts side by side.

Hmmm. More thinking to go on... :reading:

It has a tapered 4-post curvic for radial location and drive, the "spigot" is a taper fit in the top of the chuck just like a tool holder (similar in size to a Morse #2 or #3 taper) for radial location and the clamping is via ball-lock just like a pull stud. It has absolutely zero lash in any direction when clamped and repeat clamping variation is a couple of microns, if that.

Back