What's new
What's new

Quality of Hyundai machine tools?

Mike K

Cast Iron
Thanks Doug and Mazakman for the input on gang tool lathes. They sound pretty quick for 5C collet work, which is just what I'm looking for.

Has anyone had experience with Hyundai machines in general? A dealer quoted me a very tempting price ($47K) for a HiT-400G gang tool lathe with c axis, linear scale on X axis and parts catcher.This sounds like a very productive machine, but I am a little wary of brands that I haven't heard about from real world users. Any objective Hyundai users out there? Input would be appreciated.

Mike

There are three major players in South Korea: Kia, Daewoo, Hyundai......

Kia and Hyundai are now merging into WIA corporation, but the machine tools are far apart. Hyundai is the low end in South Korea. Kia is the top. Kia was trained by Hitachi Seiki since the mid 70's and built many machines for Hitachi. The quality is top notch.... I visited all of the plants in November of last year and could not believe the technology they are using.

www.khiusa.com

Their Kit 450 starts at $41,500, 1,417 ipm, hits full rapid in .1 seconds, Fanuc Oi-T control, etc.

If you would like any other info. on design I would be happy to discuss it with you.

Good Luck......

I really do not think your experience should brand all foreign companies. Sterotyping is not right.

You are right that sometimes speaking with someone from another nationality can be hard.
Did you know that most of Asia can read, write, and understand English better than you or I.

One other point, all components from their machines are based in the U.S. from ballscrews, ways, to Fanuc.......

In fact all of the two year warranty is directly with Fanuc in the U.S......

In fact based on most of the posts on this board (based on your opinion) you should never reply because of the poor English....

You are right first impressions are very important. I didn't even notice that, but it looks like a news blip...

OH. YOUNO WANSPEAK WIFH-a ..ENGRISH-a SPEKA

Awesome. Just remember, dude, when that guy picks up the phone and says moshimoshi, he's greeting you with traditional respect. he's also probably got some crazy notions about politeness in communication.

I get a kick out of it, especially when nice AZN girls pick up the line. I don't speak to them like I would speak to Joe Random.

HEY dere, Girly. Okuzumo, HIRO-SHAMASAKI! HADOKEN ISHIGAWAAAAAA!!

Yea, you might get the impression from Kia's website that they're not -extremely- concerned with the guy who comes in off the street. Poke around and download the web pages written in Korean or Japanese, or hell call a dealer. I think you can get a better sense of it from something more substantial than a poor quality website.

parts inventory, location, response time of service person, skills of servicepeople as in do they work on everything, do they stock parts in their van, can you even get service where you live or at all, you know.

Back