What's new

A question about $$$

Solar71

Titanium
Hi all...
Im new to CNC machining...
But i was wondering...

Right now at work I...

Get new parts from other manufacturers without blueprints... I then use my Micrometer and caliper and all the other little tools for radii and threads and angle... Then i use Autocad to draw a blueprint for our machinists... with tollerances and everything... Including chomed areas and weldements... Then i take my drawing and cut it up , and export it to mastercam... Then i create the tool paths and all that... Then i generate the program... upload it to the CNC machine, and then edit the program to get it just right for about 15-20 minutes... (my post is not exactly perfect) but no big deal... Then i do all the settup and offsets and everything... Then i run the part too... And double check the first 3 to 5... Ocne that is all done and good, i will pass it to another man at work, and he will run the rest and make sure to adjust for tool wear...

So i can do all the stuff they want...

Remember... this is lathe, i have no clue about mill... But that is what i will learn next...

I was just wondering what someone could expect to make in $ per hour in Southern California for doing this stuff...

PS : where i work is a great place... But sometimes it seems like i never have enough money... and im always living from one paycheck to the next... Is this normal? or should i be making more ?

So what is a fair $$$ per hour figure ???

Also i will be learning CNC milling as well... and once i learn that, how much should i get at that point ?

Thanks again you guys....

Seriously, the pay scale for doing what you do is all over the place. I'm in North Carolina, and I think you could expect to get $18-$22 an hour, depending on the place.

There are probably a few places out here that pay much higher. Finding them is the trick.

Southern California would average higher, but not as much as you might think.

Benefits will vary big time too.

Get new parts from other manufacturers without blueprints...
How about just calling up (insert mfg. name here) and say "I wan't to copy your parts that you have worked so long and hard to develop, I do not have any blueprints on hand to save our company thousands of $$ in labor costs. You know... Why reinvent the wheel. By the way will you ship to a p.o. box?"

Hoser... you are funny...
We no not make anything illegally...
All the things we make aftermarket parts for are all legal... NON patented... Otherwise we would be in big trouble... There are a few special rubber gaskets that i measured and created a die for a mold, but we have to wait untill 2006 to make it... hahaha We keep a close eye on when patents expire... ALso no company will sent me blueprints... They want to make it as difficult as possible...

PS : if you only knew how OVERPRICED somethings would be without competition... It would blow your mind... Its acctually much better for the customer as well...

anyway... i dont want to get into too much detail ... dont want to name names... But soem companies were ripping off the customer before we came along and started selling the same exact thing for 60% less...

thanks

Price varies from about $7/hr to $170/hr. - depending on how badly they need the part, how badly the other shops in town are backed up, and if it's 3 in the afternoon, or 3 in the morning before the big product-intro/tradeshow/race/whatever... :D

But hourly pay rates that I've seen for ordinary jobs typically range in the $16 to $25 range, with benefits.

solar71;
let me tell you this one thing about wages, and you can take it to the bank. every payday.

you will be paid approx. the average that is costs to live where you do.

end of story.

your employers know that you need a living wage otherwise you will get sick and not show up for work.

slavery is still alive and for the majority of the working people, myself included, we are there.
dont expect to get rich or even a little ahead when you limit your income by working by the hour.
if you can do about 6 hours work, if an easy part to pirate, in a 1/4 to 1/3 hour.
start your own programming business you will be snowed under by the chinese looking for a cheaper place to do business...jim

thanks for the info...
well you know, if i had my own lathes and mills, maybe...
but i dont have anything of my own...
I have to save my money to get a some nice equipment...

thanks

hammerhead...

thanks...
one post said 18-22
and you said 16-25
so that gives my a good idea about range...
well, i am making much less then what you said...
But im still in the learning proccess...

thanks again

Solar,
It sounds like you are still going to learn a lot on the job you have. I would stay there if that's the case. The more you learn, the more marketable you are for your next job. Sounds like you are learning a lot. I'm 42 years old, been machining since I was 12, (started in my Grandfathers' shop), and now run my own shop. I still don't know how to program off a cad system. You got a lot of knowledge under your belt, and you sound like your really "into" what you're doing. You should do well for yourself, but as said earlier, you won't get rich working for someone else.

>> well, i am making much less then what you said

OK - just how laughable is that pittance they offer you to come in and slave away at the machines?

I dont want to say how much because you will laugh...

But its ok...
I because i am learning...
Whenever i have a big problem and im really really stuck... They acctually call a man to come and teach me... Like a personal teacher that makes housecalls... So i really cant complain...
I was asking more about pay, if i was working for someone else... Where i am working now is teaching me... And i dont know how i can count that as money ? but its a lot... So just looking at my hourly is not really fair...

Thanks

Dave K

yeah your right...
i am learning a lot...
i am lucky to have the oportunity to learn in such a good working environment... plus many people dont get paid to learn... So i will shut my mouth now...

thanks again

Learn what you can, but don't give away your skills either. Definetely learn the mill too, as it will make you more marketable. Not knowing what you are making, the complexity or simplicity makes guessing a wage base hard.

My rule of thumb the employer should make 2-1/2 times the wage to cover salary, overhead, benefits goof ups and a few bucks for profit. So if your making a buck an hour he should be able to charge about 2.50-$3.00/hr for your work.

thanks for the help...

Well this shop does not charge per hour...
I make things and they sell them for whatever they can...

These are pump parts...
Big Huge PC pumps... Used in oil refineries... Sewage treatment... Food production... even spraying stucco... Anything that is liquid/solid... its basicly for liquid with a high % of solids... even small rocks can be pumped... They are awesome pumps but very expensive... many of our customers are county and state agencies...

So there you go...

But exact prices i dont know about...

Back