What's new
What's new

Question about old Fadal control and memory

Perry Harrington

Titanium
I have an old Fadal control, 1400-1 board and I just got a 1460-0 memory upgrade for it.

The conventional instructions say to install the memory upgrade, then execute 'G0 3000' in 'DI' mode to get to the diagnostics and clear memory. My control just locks up when you try that.

Furthermore, the only option I can find is "RI" for reinitialize, which I did.

The "ME" command is not present in the R87.1 firmware, so I can't figure out how to tell if the control can see the RAM upgrade or not.

Is there anyone familiar with the original CNC 88 control that can point me in the right direction?

Thanks!

I found an explanation of the DI menu in my maintenance manual, however I still have no way of verifying how much memory the control can see.

It's baffling that they didn't add some obvious way to see "how much memory is free".

I found an explanation of the DI menu in my maintenance manual, however I still have no way of verifying how much memory the control can see.

It's baffling that they didn't add some obvious way to see "how much memory is free".

The 88HS will display free memory, so they did get around to it.

I agree with Bob though. Make a program of known (very large) size near the limit and see if it'll load the whole thing. When you've hit the limit you can check the truncated file size on the computer.

Dave DeCausin suggested the same thing as Bob. There is no way on the old control to see free memory or quantity.

Well, I know the sellers couldn't have tested the memory expansion, the backup battery was dead...:leaving:

Back