What's new
What's new

any suggestions?

jprobst

Cast Iron
Need help with machining a part and loading a edrawing to this forum

I a question for all of you seasoned programmers. I have these parts to do for a lamp. There are 3 legs per lamp and have 35 lamps to do. They want them done out of cold rolled material because they are going to be plated. I will try to attach a cad drawing but please let me know if it doesnt work. I'm just trying to accomplish the humps. The only way I can see to do this is too srface machine it. Any body have any ideas for a simpler way?

Crap, how do you attach an edrawing?

Last edited:
I have no idea on how to attach an E-drawing, but Don is going to gripe if you don't change your title to something more specific.:D:codger:

LOL

Doug.

Kant edit titles, but next time maybe you and Solar can git together and werk on your title skills ahead of time. ;)

I wouldn't worry about the humps enyway - we're over it for the week as well as the summer. :D

---------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

I think you'll have to save the drawing as a jpg, pdf, or similar file before you can attach it here. AFAIK, there's not much chance of any forum software accepting drawings in the dozens of different native file formats that are out there today.

save as a jpeg, or when you have it on your screen you can hit the print screen button on your keyboard, the open paint and paste it their, the save as a jpeg and put it up on the site.

Okay, I coverted the file to a jpeg so I hope this works

Attachments

• 21490-CANOE HOSPITALITY-MAISON 140-LT-602.jpg
    21490-CANOE HOSPITALITY-MAISON 140-LT-602.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 159
If you are talking about the long humps along the top of the part, I'd opt for a form tool. This is still going to leave you with some surface work where the curl deal is at the right end, but you can machine the majority of it with a form tool and cut out a bunch of time...

What is a form tool? The humps are tapered in 2 directions. They are cone like. At the 3" side they are a .5" radius and taper down to a .25" radius at the 1.5" side. The roll at the end isn't an issue. I would make that seperate and weld it on later. Same with the block part at the other end. I hope I'm not too confusing about this. We are also looking into having them forged, sandblasted, polished, then plated but not even sure that will work.

What is a form tool? The humps are tapered in 2 directions. They are cone like. At the 3" side they are a .5" radius and taper down to a .25" radius at the 1.5" side. The roll at the end isn't an issue. I would make that seperate and weld it on later. Same with the block part at the other end. I hope I'm not too confusing about this. We are also looking into having them forged, sandblasted, polished, then plated but not even sure that will work.

here's what you can do. have a RTV mold made of the part, undercuts and all, then have wax poured into the mold, take the wax and have them investment casted, they should be very clean, little finishing needed. you can have them made out of just about any material.

what type of plating are you having done? if chrome have them made out of brass, copper, or aluminum.

a form tool is a cutter that is ground to look like the profile you are cutting, simple reference a radius cutter is a form tool, woodworkers use them all the time, roman ogee and so on.

i'm giving you some suggestions that I have had to do as a Model Maker/ prototype machinist for the last 24 years.

lenny

Back