What's new
What's new

Rate that VMC - Which one is BEST!

SteveinAZ

Stainless
If you were to pick the order of the "entry-level to modest" VMCs, how would you stack them up...so this has to include all of the little things like overall part processing speed, part accuracy, tool life, service calls (both PM and OH MY!) etc. The VMC finalists in alphabetical order are:

Bridgeport
Fadal
Haas
Makino
Matsuura
Mazak
Mori Seiki
Okuma

Ok, I threw in a couple of ringers, but who says we shouldn't set the bar high. I know there are some others out there that are plenty good machines, but I want to make sure service is available when needed...I have an ill Hurco and no one to fix it!

Steve you left out my favorite, Toyoda. What part of arizona you are in makes a big difference for service.

actually ROMI has some that look nice, absolute coders, all fanuc, not sure on the price but I'd go with an all fanuc machine easier than an okuma. The bridgeports look nice but I know noone who actually has either bridgeport or ROMI. The sharps look ok,,, but a bit more z headroom is nice in the work I do sometimes.

Makino
Matsuura
Mazak
Mori Seiki
Any machinetool made in Japan that
starts with the letter "M" is excellent.

Okuma
From real good to very good.

Bridgeport
Fadal
Haas
These are from, not bad to pretty damn good.

So there you are....... a vague answer to a vague question. Think about it...... this is like asking which of the seven chunks of metal in your shop should you use to make this part from. And then some dummy like me trying to find out what you are really trying to do. Welcome to the forum and give us more information so we can maybe help. Good luck -matt

I thought Matsuura was best, if money isn't in the equation. But then I don't really know what their mid size VMC's go for compared to Mazaks and Mori's, but I was under the impression it was like twice as much or more. Anyone know for sure?

What about OKK? usually heard that they made great machines??

Or Kitamura? they gotta be at the top too aren't they? Boxways with the speed of linear, and then some. Hard to beat that I would think.

Virtually all modern cnc machining centers are going to get the job done. The more expensive machines will have more travel, faster rapids, faster spindle, more control options, faster tool changes, etc. But, all of the brands listed will perform as advertised.

My advice is to talk to shops in your region, to see what type of SERVICE and SUPPORT you will get with a specific brand.

Some brands have excellent distributor service and support in certain areas of the US, while others have crappy service and support in certain areas.

I know, it sounds crazy, but where you are located does make a big difference!

Matsuura is best, IMHO, but I'm biased, I grew up with them. Back in the '80's I worked at a shop around the corner from Methods(Meca). Matsuura mills and Mori Lathes.

Not impressed with Mazaks, their "high end" machines are probably good.

OKK, Kitamura yes, just check on local support.

That's all big money stuff. If you have the work that demands it and the budget, go for it. If you are doing "regular" work, it looks like Tawain has come a long way baby!

Thanks for the Hurco update, I don't like the control anyway. The small foot print is attractive in my situation.

I would agree with the others, find out how your distributor is treating shops, THE SAME SIZE, in your area. The guy who is buying is getting all the service;)

[ 11-02-2007, 09:16 AM: Message edited by: ostrand11 ]

In Arizona?

I would think same day service would make Matsuura and Fanuc #1 in AZ.
I am VERY biased though. We are about to begin construction on the only stand alone distributor building in the state, and its 4x the size of the closest competitor. We also have 6 service guys working out of that facility. Some of the guys on that list don't even have local service in the sate of AZ!!!

I would also consider Toyoda VMC's if you dont have the work to support a Mat of Robodrill.

Scott
MMT

Fadal
Haas
Bridgeport
Mazak
Okuma
Mori Seiki
Makino
Matsuura
but, Steve.....if you ever win the lottery and want a real toy, Mitsui Seiki tops them all IMHO.

I'd stick a Dugard eagle VMC in there.(UK company... dunno if it supplies VMCs across the pond)

We just had the bridgeport/hardinge sales guy in because we in the market for 2 new VMC's... his first comment was 'oh crap' when he saw we had an eagle. ;)

Good solid machine... decent 12Kw spindle motor. and nice and solid

Ok I would like a top of the range VMC with all the bells and whistles.. but when you on a budget, you buy the best you can get.

Boris

"and it looks like we getting 2 more after Xmas, both with through tool coolant and 1 will have a big 4th axis unit" :cool:

The Dugard is a re-badged Fortune machine. I met the guy from the UK that sells em there at EMO.

Scott
MMT

Thanks to all of your replies to a can of worms.... JBrugess - I called Methods to get a ball park on a Matsuura - their 1000mm X travel, basic, no frills 12k spindle machine starts at $180k, but they have a Toyoda in stock! I wanted to make sure that if I were to step up to XXX machine with YYY options, I wasn't going to be only a little shy of a Matsuura - NOT the case. I am in Phoenix. I did leave out quite a few of top manufacturers since I know they have no local support...makes it tough if you are down. I went through this whole process quite a few years back and recall some of the lesser known machines were sold by distributors that most likely should not be selling CNC equipment. I recall one machine brand that was sold by a distributor that we had purchased quite a bit of fab equipment from, and their service techs were only slight better than hammer mechanics (those guys that can put a round peg in a square hole!). Roosta, my Hurco is dead, at least right now - had an independent service guy take a peek, and he was lost, he's great on Fanuc, but knows very little about the Hurco control. Anyway, it's not far from the scrap heap for me. Right now I do not even bid on milling or turning/milling jobs that need short lead times - I have been bidding larger jobs with some lead time as I know I can be up and running realtively quickly when I pull the trigger - Just not sure which direction to point. Again, thanks to all your replies, and keep them coming. Steve

The Dugard is a re-badged Fortune machine. I met the guy from the UK that sells em there at EMO.

Scott
MMT
Ok whoever they are made by, they are pretty good machines and give a good bang for your buck (especially in slam drilling cycle :D )

It was very happy last tuesday whizzing some roughing out at 100"/min feed on some tooling bits, and I had the tapping speed upto 2500 rpm on a M3 tap with a peck tapping cyle hoping it would finally fall over.. but no it made some loverly tapped holes........ just a shame the programer* could'nt get them in the right place :mad: :mad: :mad:

Boris

* Some guy called Boris... gonna sack him next week ;)

Back