What's new
What's new

reaming, 3 pass vs 4 pass

god_paul

Aluminum
in pic, you can see the interrupted gap that the semi-finish and finish reamer has to come through

the upper pic represents a cast body
the lower pic represents finished part

here are 2 proposal:
proposal A
1. use drill to drill through the bottom cap
2. use drill to enlarge the entry hole so that the roundness/position of the entry holes will be nice for the next reaming process
3. use semi-finish reamer to go through all features
4. use finish reamer to finish the features

proposal B:
1. use drill to enlarge the entry hole so that the roundness/position of the entry holes will be nice for the next reaming process
2. use a CENTER cutting semi-reamer to go through all features, INCLUDING the bottom cap
3. use finish reamer to finish the freatures

P.S
drill is made by carbide
semi-finish and finish reamer are PCD reamers...

which one will you choose?
does this depends on feature length?

thank you
Capture.JPG

You didn't say what the part does, or what material it is, but in any case the more steps the less the following reamers will run out and the straighter the finished hole will be. However, if this casting is some kind of valve, with a spool that has to seal in that bore, I don't think reaming is going to give you adequate finish or cylindricity. Count on leaving .001 and honing it.

hi Oldwrench, sorry, forgot this

the material is cast aluminum
and you are right it is spool and the vale will slide through those gap

but does honing will take more time?

I'd start with a G-land (or 4-land) PCD tipped drill. This type of drill has 2 flutes and 2 guiding lands. The guides help to assure a good straight hole. As long as the reamer is guide padded, roundness shouldn't be an issue.

Yes, but you don't have a choice. Reaming will not give a functionally satisfactory surface.

hi sfriedberg

in our production, we dont use honing process.

i ask today and check the surface finish, they are all mirror like surface

is this trustworthy?

What are the specifications for the hole?

Roundness and Straightness
Concentricity (if specified)
Or
Cylindricity
Diameter tolerance
Location tolerance
Surface finish + tolerance

I'm just going to guess on some of these..... lets see how close I get...

I say 0.004 mm on roundness
+/- 0.007 mm on diameter
Straightness of 0.008 mm over length of bore

How close am I?

What are the specifications for the hole?

Roundness and Straightness
Concentricity (if specified)
Or
Cylindricity
Diameter tolerance
Location tolerance
Surface finish + tolerance

I'm just going to guess on some of these..... lets see how close I get...

I say 0.004 mm on roundness
+/- 0.007 mm on diameter
Straightness of 0.008 mm over length of bore

How close am I?

sorry for the late reply....

fro roundness, it's not specified on the print...
for concentrictiy, 0.007 mm
diameter: +/- 0.011 mm
surface finish: 1.25 um

by the way,
Tonytn36

for finish reamer, do you recommend straight flute or helical flute, what's your supporting evidence?

by the way,
Tonytn36

for finish reamer, do you recommend straight flute or helical flute, what's your supporting evidence?

No finish reamer.... finish padded boring bar.

What I'm suggesting to try......(No guarantees, but I've done this and it works on interrupted bores)

G-land PCD tipped drill to make the hole Ø0.5-0.75 mm undersize.
Then a padded, inserted PCD boring bar for finish. It will probably have 2°-5° of axial rake and be single cutting edge. (If I can get time tomorrow, I'll grab a picture of one.)
DONE

As I mentioned above, I did quite a bit of testing on this set-up. It worked well, but didn't suit several other constraints of our manufacturing system.

Call the Mapal guys, show em what you got. They will offer a solution that works. (May take forever + 10 days to get it if they don't send it to SC plant to get it made, but it will work.)

No finish reamer.... finish padded boring bar.

What I'm suggesting to try......(No guarantees, but I've done this and it works on interrupted bores)

G-land PCD tipped drill to make the hole Ø0.5-0.75 mm undersize.
Then a padded, inserted PCD boring bar for finish. It will probably have 2°-5° of axial rake and be single cutting edge. (If I can get time tomorrow, I'll grab a picture of one.)
DONE

As I mentioned above, I did quite a bit of testing on this set-up. It worked well, but didn't suit several other constraints of our manufacturing system.

Call the Mapal guys, show em what you got. They will offer a solution that works. (May take forever + 10 days to get it if they don't send it to SC plant to get it made, but it will work.)

hi Tonytn36,

based on your feedback, i got several questions
1. our PCD reamer is brazed PCD reamers by UM, so your inserted PCD reamer(boring bar) is recommended by Mapal or you have history of using this design? any advantage of inserted PCD reamer VS. brazed PCD reamer?

2. how often do you change tool (does it give you trouble in setup, or some weird broken/chipped problem?

thank you :)

Ok... I'd like you to drill the piece and then use a half round drill instead of reamers. The half round drill can not go oversize, and it's stiff enough to bridge the gaps. I'd first try it at around 1000 - 1500 rpm, chip load 1% of the hole diameter and work your way up. I say this because they don't chatter.

Regards,
Stan-

Tony,

How do you deburr a feature like this? We tried a lot of things, including a waterjet. It's still the worst part.

Tony,

How do you deburr a feature like this? We tried a lot of things, including a waterjet. It's still the worst part.

I'd check out abrasive brushes, a bunch of companies make them. From Osborn:

ATB Products - Osborn [scroll down for "Internal Finishing Brushes"]

They can tailor abrasive grain size, filament OD, density, twist, etc. to product a one-pass deburring tool that can be added to the inline process.

I'd check out abrasive brushes

Been there. I don't know of one that can reach all the way into a bore like this and do any good without rubbing the shank on the bore. Also, they wear quickly.

We tried a cascade machine, but it messed with the surface finish of the faces.

Well, ideally the guy who designed the casting put cast-in transitions that prevent a burr. That does require a more expensive mold however. About the only way I see to deburr that thing is either a brush as mentioned above, or a burr tool that is circular interpolated in each cavity. For high volume, it would certainly pay to go the more expensive mold route.

There is also the gas-fired option (burning them off) but not sure if that would work with the geometry of a feature like that, nor what that may do distortion-wise to the part.

Back