What's new
What's new

Recommend SFM/IPR for Turning w/ Grooving Tool

scratch built

Plastic
I purchased a used grooving/turning tool and am having a hard time finding speeds/feeds for it. It uses a 3mm wide gtr-3 insert that is AlTin coated. I've been using it to part no problem, and now want to use it for turning 17-4 H1150 in my Hurco TM6.

Can anybody recommend some speeds feeds for turning with a GTR-3 insert in 17-4 H1150?

Who makes the insert? They could probably give you all the info you need.
If you know the insert data and grade I can try to cross reference it get some cutting data out of one of my catalogs.

Grooving inserts aren't really used for turning except light finish cuts in certain materials. I'd suggest getting a proper turning tool.

Grooving tools CAN be used for turning, though it's the double-ended insert style that can do it. On a "wedge it in" GTx style single-ended, expect it to pop out.

I turn 17-4 h1150 all the time with my grooving insert. Its a walter gx series. 262 sfm and .003 per rev is what I do on the finish. Manufacturer recommends 262 sfm and 4 to 10 per rev with mine.

Edit: Just looked up your insert style. As other suggest you should have a double sided insert. Contact walter they will give you the holder if you buy a pack of inserts.

As always, thanks everyone for the info. I'll look into the walter and iscar inserts, and if those are the ticket I'll pick them up.

As always, thanks everyone for the info. I'll look into the walter and iscar inserts, and if those are the ticket I'll pick them up.

I've always been partial to Iscar for everything related to grooving.
Although Walter makes some quality stuff too, and they have acquired a few big name brands to add to their portfolio.

Sandvik makes a Corocut insert that is made for grooving/turning. Works great. I run it all the time in A-8 and 4140. 600 SFM .006/rev. .075 DOC/side. If she squeals a bit.....drop the SFM toward 400.....leave the rest.

I used to be an Iscar guy for grooving but their prices irked me for the last time ($400 for a parting blade holder, i couldn't believe it) and i made the switch to Seco and I've never looked back. Their MDT system works really well for turning and i really like the 150 parting tools. Really need the right insert geometry or they don't work at all

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk

Back