What's new
What's new

Removing table and saddle as a unit safely.

havocworks

Plastic
I have a mighty mv-40 cnc bed will. 54x14 table with box ways. The turcite on one of the table ways pulled out due to a faulty oiler and due to space constraints I can not slide the table off of the saddle without moving the entire machine. I am going to try to remove the saddle and table as a unit, set them on some 6x6 lumber and then separate them on the floor before taking them to have the turcite replaced and scraped in.

I do not have access to a forklift currently but do have a 3 ton capacity hoist. I figure the table and saddle weight aprox 1k-1400lbs as a unit based on browsing ebay for similar sized tables and checking weights. (also was best guess of a relative who is a repair tech at a large manufacturer)

My plan is to run 6x 5/8-11 eye bolts(w/shoulder) in to the t-slot nuts, attach appropriately rated lifting cable or chain, then lift and rotate the entire assembly 90 degrees and lower on to the 6x6's.

Anyone have any advice or suggestions before I attempt this? (other than keep limbs out from under things!)

You're headed the right direction. 6 eyebolts is overkill though. Use 4, one at each corner of the table. Drop a piece of barstock in the table slots between the eyebolts so the eyebolts can't slide since they will be side loaded somewhat. I prefer chains as the lengths can be easily adjusted to get a level lift. Center the table over what appears to be the CG of the saddle before you lift. You want it to come up as level as possible. It is preferred to lock the X axis screw so there is no possibility that the saddle can move relative to the table while handling it. Most of the time you can get away without doing that though. Before you separate the table and saddle, talk to your rebuilder. I'm sure they will need your saddle to scrape the new Turcite on the table to fit. Just send them the whole assembly.

Depending on how you sling it, if you have 4 independant chains or slings, the weight you are lifting should be able to be supported by 2 of them, this is because if they are not all of perfect length two will take most of the weight, this is just a rigging thing.

I am a Rebuilder and you maybe money ahead to rent a fork lift for the job if the hoist is questionable. Also if it is electric buy a small 1 ton chain fall to hang on the electric hoise so you have fine adjustment. Many of those electric hoists are way to fast. Also take lots of pictures now on how it is assembled. If I were asked to do it I would with the lightweight crane I would pull each slide off at a time. I am assuming the ball screws are bolted on in the center of the table and if they are, then you have to remove them after the table /saddle are off. Some of them have a horseshoe bracket the ball nut is attached to and the nut can be loosened and alignment pins pulled leaving the screw in the saddle. Also I like the idea of using the bar in the eye-bolts or 2 straps with shackles on one end and a chain on the other to get the part level as suggested before coming up. You may use a 2 x 4 to pry the unit up before the lift as many times the oil will hold it and when you lift it will pop up and give you a thrill. The Turcite is no doubt .047" thick as that is what 99% of the Taiwanese builders use. I buy Rulon 142 (same material as Turcite) Rulon Materials | Self Lubricating Bearings | Rulon LR, J, 641 and they sell it in 12" x length and yu or the rebuilder can cut it to the width with a utility knife or scissors. I would go with their glue too as it has .003" glass beads in it to get that minimum thickness of glue. I would also suggest replacing both X & Y Turcite now as 9 out of 10 time if one side is loose the other is too or close to it. If the repair is down at there shop be sure they put the parts on 3 points on top of there wood blocks or steel horses.

You may ask the rebuilder if you can help as this will save you lots of money. That is how I do it now, as the machine owners are mechanical but lack the scraping skills. I can help on the phone 651 338 814. I wish i could help but I have to have some surgery scheduled in 2 weeks. Rich

Back