What's new
What's new

REPOST 6-32 tapping in hastelloy HELP

+-.000

Plastic
ok, so actually it is a 6-32 thread it's in c series haselloy also cast mtl. the hole is roughly .45 deep. the part is lets say a thick washer that gets a flat milled on the od and then tapped from that flat surface and breaks into the id so the tap will be cutting on one side as it breaks through into the id. my biggest question, since my boss says that thread milling is out of the question, becomes how to save time cutting air if we are peck tapping .02 at a slow rpm. any help would be greatly appreciated! thanks. like i pre-posted he wants to lets say tap the .02 dp then back of the .02 lets say we get down a ways and spend a lot of time cutting air. is there a way to variably speed to cut at one speed and cut air at a different speed? control is fanuc oi-mc even if it's line by line code obviously not a canned cycle. thanks to all. i feel like we are dreaming haha maybe a good task for future machines or software. also still take any information if roll/form tapping should be considered.

Why is thread milling out of the question? There is a 6-32 solid carbide threadmill out there that will give you either .410" depth or .580" depth, depending on what your "roughly" estimate actually is.

You're going to have a hell of a time doing what you're talking about.

I am thinking *An* "expensive" threadmill will be far cheaper than *lots* of "cheaper" 6-32 taps... 6-32 (and 10-24 too, btw) is an evil tap anyway...couple that with hastelloy...

How many holes you have to do?

Get a good spiral point quality tap made for nickel based alloys, and some Tap-It-All tapping paste. Dab a spot of it on the tip of the tap, start the tapping by machine until you're about 3 full threads in.

Now stop tapping with the machine, take out your Starrett tap wrench (93A recommended) and finish the hole by hand. You'll be done before the machine would with that laborious programming and air cutting, and you've be able to feel the tap starting to break before it actually does...something the machine can't easily do.

Please publish the engineer's name who designed a part with a 6-32 hole in Hastelloy! A lynch mob may ensue.........

We have customers doing that and smaller in Inconel and we have a customer who make tens of thousands of tapped inserts out of A286 with 6-32 tapped holes.

OSG Hy-Pro Aero Taps.

and a Brother ;)

because my boss buys the tooling and sets my limits.

What's that phrase? Penny wise and pound foolish? How much does it cost to remove broken taps from hastelloy parts? 6-32 is the absolute worst as far as depth of cut/diameter goes. I'm guessing you'll break at least one good tap learning what it takes to push a tap too hard in that stuff.

Late for the party here but I have some Hastelloy experience. Tapping goes rather well if you can get some of the old style Tap-Magic with Trichloroethylene in it. Usual warnings about fumes........

Tim in D

it does smell good. my boss is one of the smartest guys i have experienced in the trade especially for his age. which leads to the reason we are attacking this hastelloy job in the first place. we are from maine.... bahahah we are capable i posted to try to speed up the way we currently make this work already. not many people out there attacking this style work with confidence.

Back