What's new
What's new

Restricting turret rotation

Mouse

Aluminum
I've got a Mori Seiki NLX 2500/700 that has become pretty much my machine. I've just set it up on a job that against my better decision, I have three angled live tools that hang out of the holder far enough on the turret that if the turret rotates at X home position, any one of these tools will go into the back wall of the machine. I have the program set to rotate the turret in a safe location. My worry is that if someone rotates the turret in manual without paying attention, it would be the first major crash on this machine since it was put on the floor. Does anyone know of any options to lock out the operator from being able to rotate the turret manually, or have any other ideas that would lower the chances of something going wrong. The controller is a M730BM, and in the operator's panel there are two options; Turret Indexing function and Turret Indexing teaching. I don't know what these options do and have yet to find any info on them.

i have the same situation on my nlx2500sy right now, however I am the only one who can power it up, so no worries.... at a last resort, you could use the lockout/tagout on the power in back.....

I am the only operator of many CNC machines and I use big signs fastened right across the control. Cannot do anything unless the sign is removed. Because schit happens.

The one person that I have to worry about messing with this machine is the person who actually bought it. Since he owns the shop and all the equipment, he'll come in a run parts on it when I'm not around. He as screwed up before and will again, its only a matter of time. At least he wouldn't be able to blame anyone but himself, and I do have a big paper sign on the door right now, but I might be making one to cover the controller today.

On machines where this scenario is more often the case, I have reset the X home position and travel limits so the large tools clear at home. Very few users actually need the extreme X position for their parts so in most cases it became a permanent change.

Back