What's new
What's new

ridgid tapping

rcavalieri

Plastic
here at our shop we have a new cnc genos m460 mill and my operator has 7 + years running cnc mills but he is having a hard time with tapping on it, he is trying to run a m2 x 0.4 tap he is running it ridgid in 13-8 mtl. and only .135 deep in a thru hole but he keeps breaking the taps he is running at 480 rpm so we called the manufacturer of the taps and they say run it at 1700 rpm ? we have not do this yet not sure whats going on any suggestions.

That don't sound high to me for an rpm. Because that tap is so small. However, you should have no problems running slower, and I'm not exactly familiar with that material. I will share with you a story, not sure if this will help or not. I had a tap made by a company (it was an odd size), and it tore threads on me unless I tapped by hand and used cutting oil. The told me I was running it too slow,and wasn't getting a good "shearing" action at the cutting edges. So, reluctantly, I bumped up the rpm, and what do you know? It worked nice.
So, I'd give it a try. 1700 rpm is not too fast for that small of a tap.

Suggestions:

Make sure the thread pitch is programmed correctly.

Try a spiral point tap that sends the chips out ahead of the tap.

Try using a cutting fluid instead of the machine's coolant.

Cheat a bit on thread depth vis a larger tap drill.

Peck tap?

I love forming taps but I've never done one smaller than M3. I especially like them for blind holes.

Its 13-8... Making holes in 13-8 just generally sucks. Tapping those holes is worse...

What kind of tap are you using?? 13-8 "annealed" technically solution treated... is going to be mid to high 30's on the C-scale,
and its a bitchy material.

I'd rather drill and tap Ti all day long...

You said it was a new Genos mill. Have you rigid tapped before on this machine? All my Okumas came with rigid tapping but were set to floating in the parameters. I don't remember the screen off hand, but it should be pretty easy to find. Set it to synchronous if it's not already.

Wasn't there a recent thread where someone specified that even during rigid tapping, some MTB/control automatically retracts at 1.10x the programmed feedrate? If you're tapping through holes, and going too deep, I could see the back of the tap colliding with the material and snapping the tap.

I have no experience with this just a shot in the dark.

I've had issues tapping 17-4 in the past. Make sure you have a quality tap rated for the hardness of material. Using Moly-Dee instead of coolant can make all the difference as well.

Wasn't there a recent thread where someone specified that even during rigid tapping, some MTB/control automatically retracts at 1.10x the programmed feedrate? If you're tapping through holes, and going too deep, I could see the back of the tap colliding with the material and snapping the tap.

I have no experience with this just a shot in the dark.

On some machines you can increase the spindle speed upon retracting the tap in rigid tapping mode, but the feed is also increased to match the retract speed.

What your saying is typically done when using floating tapping mode. Sometimes floating holders will only float in one direction so you have to make sure any error goes the direction the holder is able to float. For example your holder will only float out. You need to feed in slightly slower than you should so the tool will float out and retract slightly faster.

Don't forget on Okumas during rigid tapping you can hit the slide hold button while the tap is engaged. The machine will then reverse out of the hole and wait. Press cycle start to continue tapping the hole. A quick and dirty way to peck tap.

Lay a 6" scale horizontal on the vise, sticking out in the air about an inch. Bring the Tap close to the scale end and run the tap cycle. While looking at the scale end, as a reference, let your mind concentrate on the tap threads. Thread movement should appear to be dead still, during the cycle.

If you find the air being tapped correctly, maybe the metal will also be happy. :) Just had to say this.

Regards,

Stan-

thank everyone we wound up running the spindle speed at 840 up from the original speed and not the 1700 that was told from the tap manufacture and the material is annealed, also we called the okuma rep and found out he peek cycle was going .050 at a time and we were able to reduce it to .030 and with all that it is working.

Back