What's new
What's new

Milltronics ML20 - Centurion 6 - Internal Boring Tips?

Kevin101

Plastic
My Milltronics ML20 and Centurion 6 controller are '97 models. I don't have a USB port to bring in external CAM toolpath, and not certain the lathe's floppy drive will work. I'm trying to figure out the best way for me to use the Centurion 6 conversational programming to bore profiles into a part.

The Turning routines have fought me. Is there a way to use Turning for internal bore profiles if you flip a sign somewhere?

The Facing routine has worked for me with some caveats. I can draw a profile toolpath going into a pre-drilled bore, coming out to target diameter, and withdrawing out along the desired cut profile. It'll cut depth by depth into the part. I've cut a few square or taper bores that way. The caveat is that the final roughing and finish passes follow the profile, cutting from smallest ID to largest at bottom of the bore, and pulling the cutter out to finish the bore. Is there a way to get the final passes to run the opposite direction? I'm running a 3/8" diameter SCLCR boring bar to start with (borrowed from my 10 manual lathe), and I think it would hit diameter better cutting the final bore ID on a plunge or push.

Is there another canned cycle I should read up on to do this sort of work? Did I read the manual correctly that "Boring" is a drill cycle? If I can't outsmart the controller, I may choose different tool holders to work with these limitations. A larger boring bar is on the wish list, but making my lathe payments is higher on the list if I can work with what I have.

Thanks, Kevin

Back