Rigid Tapping Feeds/Speeds in AL6061 - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by G00 Proto View Post
    just before that evil little tap starts his first hole, I push pause, I look at the code and look for a G84, and check my feed rate and rpms... then I close my eyes, and hit the green button. While it is tapping that first hole in an expensive complicated part, I stomp my right foot repeatedly so I can neither hear, nor see that little MOFO break off in the hole.
    I used to hide behind the control until the first hole was successfully tapped. Still get stressed when I hit the start button when tapping.

(And I only use floating holders)

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

ProjectZero,

If you're using Fusion360, this should be absolute cake. I tap all the time and have never had a single issue, and have *never* had to manually edit code (on Haas SMM).

The thread pitch is set in your tool definition. (see image below). I don't like to be in a big hurry tapping, so on something like a 1/4-20 in aluminum, which is my example here, I'll have the RPM set at 1000 in the tool definition.

Select "Drilling" from the toolbar at the top, select your tool/tap in the first tab, and make sure you select "Right Tapping" from the drop-down in the 4th tab. -- (note: you may be selecting "Tapping" instead or "Right Tapping"? If so, that's the setting used for a tapping head, not for rigid tapping).

That's pretty much it.

PM

1.jpg

2.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It is my understanding that Fadal likes to tap in high gear. So if your rpm is under 2500, make sure you enter it like SXXX.2

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

What Format are you using on your Fadal?
    Format 1 uses a "Q" value. Format 2 doesn't. It uses "S" and "F"(F = RPM/TPI). 5000 rpm seems pretty fast for a Fadal.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Utah
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

CALLING ALL Jalapeño eaters!!! Or growers or whatever you do down there Bob.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by ProjectZero View Post
    Damn. I just broke my tap.

First my mill was throwing an error "Thread Lead Not Specified". I go into my fadal user manual and look up the line is question. Sure enough I find G84, and it turns out the "Q" is missing. I trusted you, Fusion 360 CAM module! So first I manually add in Q.03125. Now my line of CAM looks like this:

N815 G98 G84.1 X2.125 Y1.5625 Z-0.535 R0+0.15 S5000.2 F156.25 Q.03125

But my tool still broke! It seemed go down fine, then to break upon reverse. What did I do wrong? I pre-drilled using a brand new .1065 drill bit. I can try G00 Proto's advice and knock the RPM down to 500 (from 5000!). Thoughts?
    G99 G84 X-2.4958 Y-2.5082 Z-0.5 R0.25 F15.63 The Q should make the cycle peck, I'd leave that out