Largest Manufacturing Technology
Community On The Web
Close
Login to Your Account

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Rigid tapping speeds

I have a part to run out of 303 SST with a 10-32 thread through it. I was wondering if you guys use a formula to figure rpms? I am rigid tapping now at 850 rpms but I have no idea if there is a better speed to run at. I'm using a hss tap and water soluble. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Sounds pretty fast... you're tapping @ ~42 sfm. I looked up what Balax recommends - they recommend 20 sfm in 300 series SS - although they do not specify any difference between 303 and 316, I think I'd dorp it down to about half of where you're at. If it's a blind hole, you will want to drop another 25-50% in sfm. Make sure your coolant concentration is high, like 10-12%, or maybe some Moly Dee is in order.

If you are not using a thread forming tap, try one...they work great and the cold formed threads are really nice - just finished a job with about seventy 10-24 threads in T316, used a Balax "Thredfloer" tap and first and last hole were perfect (dribbled Moly Dee in every blind hole just to make sure).

If your doing a through hole, and don't want to stand there dribbling tapping fluid, you can program a move into a small cup full of fluid off to the side of the table to pick up fluid, and then go thread...with a thread forming tap instead of a cutting tap, you don't have to worry about chips either.

Steve

3. Default

All I do is use the same speed as I would with a HSS drill the same size. Works for me and is easy to remember.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

My old bosses used to piss and moan that you're sapposed to run at surface footage for the hss tool. All of the guys I worked with (15+ years over me) ran almost all taps under 3/8 at around 400 rpm depending on the machine. If they had to figure ipm on the machine they'd get an rpm that would make the feedrate a whole number.

I just got in from tapping 900 thru holes(.120 wall thickness) in 304 stainlesss 1/4-20 with a $10 cleaveland (J&L sale item) tap at 400 rpm. The tap had a silver hint of color to it, but all cutting edges were beautiful. I could have ran it faster, but I remember my old coworkers bitchen about braking taps.

I do want to try form taps soon, I have heard many good things about their reliablity.

Just my .02

Rosie

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Smile

Thanks for the information guys. I'll try form tapping too, just out of curiosity. I don't use them much. We'll see if it works for me.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I use the following SFM's:
    (I normally buy Vega brand taps btw)

303= 20sfm
    316= 12sfm

4140A= 30sfm
    4140HT= 20sfm

6061= 75sfm
    2024= 115sfm

Plastics about the same as 6061 if I am using coolant, and about 300rpm if not.

Best of luck,

Doug.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I'll second the forming taps. I've used 10-24 in blind holes in 316L stainless and haven't had a problem with them at all. One guy I know said he used them for tapping 4-40 holes in 400 series stainless and had good luck with them. As far as speed goes, doug's chart above pretty much nails it.