What's new
What's new

Ripped off by Prototrak

rjr

Plastic
I suppose that back in the day when machine tools were being controlled by proprietary computers the machine tool manufactures were just passing along cost when they charged extra for networking and memory. It seems that the practice continues today even though the capability is built into Windows. Southwestern Industries apparently turns off the networking capability and then charges $745.00 for the password to turn it back on! We are not that big so it's more about feeling ripped off (since I bought the Windows license with the machine) than a real need but I am wondering if anyone has come up with a work around?

RJR,

While I agree that it does sound egregious, and I would not want to pay for something to turned "back" on when it was there originally.
It is supply and demand. You want it, & they sell it.
It comes with all its faults, and "ripoffs" as you put it.

I feel you.

However, I seriously doubt that this topic will live on for any length of time if what you are asking for infringes upon the earning potential of Prototrac.

PM.com ~probably~ does not want any part of the inevitable law suit that will result from asking for workarounds. LOL

I would look for PM's here. :D:D

Doug.

At least they are only charging $745.00 for the code. My old boss had to shell out $1500.00 for the "key" to be able to run the AGE 3 off a laptop. He was so uptight about that(and a whole lot of other issues) we sold both Trak knee mills and bought a HAAS TM2 with a tool changer for about $2000.00 more than a Proto-Trak. The time saved by the tool changer, plus not having to pay Billy Bob to stand there and stuff the wrong tool in the spindle every third part made up for having one less mill. And no B.S. to have a machine that you paid for run without any pricey secret codes and "key's"
Terry

I was thinking more in terms of Windows that was paid for rather than Trak which wasn't but you are probably right

Drives ya nuts but the "practice" of charging extra to turn on the options goes back to well before the IBM PC.

On the other hand "standard" Microsoft networking and real time machine control don't play well together. I've fought this problem with the people at Msoft since NT 4.0. Microsoft's core is not designed to run machines, and nowadays it is optimized to take advantage of the internet. Way too much "background" stuff goes on that can delay responding to the machine. Some of this stuff only shows up as a "glitch" once a month or so (makes testing real fun). Stripping out the networking code makes life much easier for the guys writing the software and if you are gonna be full time connected to a generic network a lot of special chit is needed. Some times I think it would be easier just to go back to MS-DOS.
Bob

I expect their next generation of control will be linux

I'm amazed that they're not already, well maybe not linux but I have never understood why control builders ever decided to build on windows when there are numerous realtime prioritised operating systems available. I suspect that a licence for QNX for example is more expensive than a licence for any flavour of windows, but on a machine tool costing many thousands who cares?

I expect their next generation of control will be linux

The TNC530i is now based on a linux kernel running X-windows for the display.

Check the highandpain website and you can download the source code for it :cool:
But sadly not the source code they use for the 530 itself (PLC, DSP , etc etc ) :(

But it does make it easier for a linux geek like me to network the things..... if I could get the mount command to work with a wretched vista laptop......:angry:

Boris

The Dream Machine...?

picture.php

I looked on the Heidenhain website and didn't see that, Boris. Can you post the link? It might be useful for EMC development.

Thanks

RocketCheese,

that is very funny, of course I wouldnt be surprised to see controls going that direction where you would have a remote that you carry around with you and the machines control stays inside the cabinet.

Charles

I looked on the Heidenhain website and didn't see that, Boris. Can you post the link? It might be useful for EMC development.

Thanks

Text below is from the file "JH_OSS_display.txt" included with the free demo version of the TNC530i

"28/08/2006

Open Source Software Notes

This product uses open source software. A list of the used packages is given
below, together with a typical header from the source code and the respective
licenses. As far as the licenses stipulate so, a copy of the source code can
be ordered. Please contact [email protected] for further information.

Liability for defects resulting from modifications to the open source
software changed by you or third parties is excluded. Technical support for
such modified software can not be provided."

I seem to remember that file being displayed on the 530's at work too

Boris

You bought a CNC machine...... Pretty much end of story it will machine parts when you get it.

If there are extras on the machine that are proprietary that help you make
Money easier then it will cost you money. That's called capitalism.

If you made something people wanted wouldn't you want to be paid ?

They stripped them down so they can can be price competitive with machines that don't have extras.

I Have serveral Hurco's and Prototraks..... I have purchased almost all the extra toggles for $1000's and thousands of dollars. I have no problem with it. The toggles help your business run smoother.

No trying to be a dick but Millineial's crying about capitalizing companies drives me nutz.

You bought a CNC machine...... Pretty much end of story it will machine parts when you get it.

They stripped them down so they can can be price competitive with machines that don't have extras.

I Have serveral Hurco's and Prototraks..... I have purchased almost all the extra toggles for $1000's and thousands of dollars. I have no problem with it. The toggles help your business run smoother.

No trying to be a dick but Millineial's crying about capitalizing companies drives me nutz.

We all get it, but is it really so bad as to warrant dredging up NINE YEAR OLD threads? :skep: Happy Saturday! :)

Wait if this thread was started 9 years ago would that even make the OP a "millennial"?

You are aware that you are bitching about Millenials, and spelling "nuts" with a Z, right? I hate Millenials, and how they are always making me keep up with their Twitter updates!! :dunce:

Writing the number 1000's and the word, right next to each other?

BTW it isn't Capitalization the Millenials are bitching about, it's maximizing profit, over the threshold of ones morality.

RocketCheese,

that is very funny, of course I wouldnt be surprised to see controls going that direction where you would have a remote that you carry around with you and the machines control stays inside the cabinet.

Charles

Until you grab the wrong "remote" :o

Back