What's new
What's new

Robodrill gets slow and jerky, *video*

DeadNutsDan

Plastic
Ok so I recently purchased a robodrill t10, I just got my 1st program on the machine. A simple slot. The feed rate I'm using in the video for the ramping circular interpolation into the material is 60ipm then when it reaches the floor it is supposed to speed up to 100ipm. Instead however it slows down its speeds rapidly as if it cannot process the lines fast enough and then gets jerky and pauses. Would this likely be a parameter that has been changed? Or is this as fast as these old girls can process code? Any and all advice helps. Thanks the link to the video is below
YouTube

Dan

Sorry about the video, I made it visible now. Where would I look to see if the look ahead is turned on?

What CAM software are you running?

If it's HSM Works/Fusion, the Robodrill post has a setting for "Use Smoothing" This will turn on G5.1 Q1 (look ahed on) and G5.1 Q0 (look ahed off) at the appropriate times in the code (before calling tool height comp and after canceling it). Newer Robodrills have more look ahed and some options for tuning it further, but I don't think the older ones do.

I'm using fusion. And this was just posting out with the "generic fanuc" post. Could this be my problem?

Ok here is a short test program that I ran with the robodrill post with the preload tool option off (thanks for that). The federate is set on 600 ipm, I know this old machine won't be able to run that but you can see in the video it moves pretty well but then it will hit sections in the code where it is slowed down drastically. Let me know what you guys think. Here's the link.
Robo 2 - YouTube
Thanks for all the response. I appreciate it.

Looks like you *still* are not using arcs or not effectively.

The default tolerance for arc fitting is way too low, you need to up it to like 5 tenths, then it will generate single arcs for larger movements. When you have a bunch of short arcs or line segments, the control can't keep up.

You should see the crap I have to go through to make Fusion produce g-code for my 1985 Fadal control.

Looks like you *still* are not using arcs or not effectively.

The default tolerance for arc fitting is way too low, you need to up it to like 5 tenths, then it will generate single arcs for larger movements. When you have a bunch of short arcs or line segments, the control can't keep up.

You should see the crap I have to go through to make Fusion produce g-code for my 1985 Fadal control.

I'm with you. I don't know anything about Robodrills specifically but I've had this problem on my machines with MasterCAM....I think it's called like "Arc Tolerance" or something and it defaults to like .0000001" making a billion lines of code to bore out a pocket.

Back