What's new
What's new

ROHS Standard

I had to show on one job that I was ROHS compliant. I believe Europe started this.The material I was using was 360 brass and if I remember correctly it had to deal with mercury in the materials used.

Yeah - I'm not sure that 360 brass will pass ROHS.

12L14 does sqeek past.

-------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

I've just seen rohs in relation to electronics. I thought it was more to do with lead as I've seen stated. Perhaps to eliminate all metals they consider harmful.

What's that on, medical stuff?

The part is used in an electrical capacity. The standard has to do with Lead, Cadmium ect in the finished product, but does that mean it effects what cutting fluids you can use in the process of making the part?

No, the product has to contain less than a given percentage of certain poisonus substances. The aim is to lessen impact of improper recycling, like those poor fellas burning up E-waste in Africa.

Certain things are exempt. Mil-spec for one.

Safety relevant stuff like medical and aircraft electronics too.

I've had to make some parts that were RoHS compliant. Here's a list of stuff on the cert I had to fill out. I cut and pasted this from the paperwork that I received from my customer:

[FONT=&quot]This document certifies that the XYZ Co. Part Number(s) listed in this document and supplied by: [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]XYZ Machine co.
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]do not contain the substances listed in the table below in concentrations exceeding the Maximum Control Value (MCV), and will be compliant as of the date shown by signature.[/FONT]

Substance Maximum Control Value

[FONT=&quot]Lead 0.1% by weight (1000 ppm) [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Mercury 0.1% by weight (1000 ppm)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Cadmium 0.01% by weight (100 ppm) [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Hexavalent Chromium 0.1% by weight (1000 ppm)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Polybrominated Biphenyls (PBB) 0.1% by weight (1000 ppm)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Polybrominated Diphenyl Ethers (PBDE) 0.1% by weight (1000 ppm)[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Products containing the substances listed in the table above, in concentrations below the MCV, are understood to be in compliance with Directive 2002/95/EC of the European Parliament and of the Council of 27 January 2003 on the restriction of the use of certain hazardous substances in electrical and electronics equipment (RoHS Directive) in accordance with the definitions set forth in the directives.[/FONT]

Hope this helps.

The part is used in an electrical capacity. The standard has to do with Lead, Cadmium ect in the finished product, but does that mean it effects what cutting fluids you can use in the process of making the part?

Lead!
See I knew it was one of those carcinogens. Looking back c3600 half hard brass is rohs exempt. How can that be?

Back