What's new
What's new

Okuma Question Rapid Control w/gcode

behindpropellers

Stainless
Ran some parts on my friends Okuma Lathe ESL10 I think.....(button pushing). My HAAS has rapid limits and feed and spindle limits.

His machine only has an override for the rapid and feed connected.

Any way to limit the rapids with Gcode??? Machine settings?

This seems to be a common thing with Okuma machines. Mine is the same way, not sure if there is a convenient way to do what you want. Sorry not to be more help but that is as much as I know.

If you want to ask Okuma they will tell you, "why you want to run slow? Machine is made to run at 100%...."

Charles

buy the optional rapid override switch. then you can run 100% feeds and whatever % rapid you want. don't know why it isn't standard. :confused:

I think Okuma calls this a "feature" :rolleyes5:

It seems to be only lathes that are affected. Mills all have a separate rapid override.

BE VERY CAREFUL messing with the rapid override parameters. That said, there is a parameter that prevents the override knob from slowing the rapid rate unless the "single block" switch is on. This means you get 100% rapid and the override only controls the feed moves unless you have single block on.

Our U10L is stuck in this configuration. It's very dangerous in my opinion.

Also, this is my 500th post. WOOT.

And to boot, the feedrate override overrides the threading feedrate...
Or so I was told by one of the guys I have here part time.
By day he is an Okuma diehard fan, but when he is here, to this day cannot get over the fact that the he can run with feed/rapid overrides in any position without affecting the thread on a Fanuc or Haas machine.

Curious why Okuma does that?

Nonetheless, I often miss the Haas "Handwheel feedrate override" feature on the Fanucs.

On my LB-15 OSP 5000 control I always dry run the first piece with the control in "DRY RUN" and "SINGLE BLOCK".

This allows you to control the rapids with the overide and at the same time your feeds aren't at a snails pace while in "DRY RUN".

Once the first pc is proven cutting air, I shut off "DRY RUN" and leave it in "SINGLE BLOCK".

This allows me to control the rapids up to the start position before cutting the part with the tool (again on the first pc) and then I switch off "SINGLE BLOCK", cut the part at the normal feed rate, and then "SINGLE BLOCK" it for the start position of the next tool.

Knock on wood.........been a couple years and not a single incident!

Best Regards,
Russ

Back