What's new
What's new

Roller pack way bearing rebuild?

superrat

Plastic
We've got an old (1980)Sundstrand horizontal mill that uses what we call "roller pack" bearings on all the ways. I have attached a couple of pics,(new one, and a broken one) they are two different sizes but constructed similarly.

We retro-fitted all the electronics a few years ago with a Fanuc control and axis motors. The iron is in pretty good shape and I am trying to stay ahead of mechanical issues as much as one can.

I am interested in exploring rebuilding these roller packs in house, we have a box of parts from ones that have the plastic ends broken but appear to have very little wear on the main "block". I'm planning on making new delrin ends, and the brass keepers seem salvagable but I haven't been able to find the rollers.
The rollers are 10mm in dia. x 10mm long with a 1.5mm chamfer on one side. Has anyone seen these before? any thoughts on sources for the rollers? or even what terms to use when searching.

I did get a quote from Bourn and Koch and they will make them, it's a pretty long lead time and hefty price tag. That is an option and we will do that if/when the time comes. I'm looking to bolster what we have on the shelf as a backup/emergency situation. Thank you

Attachments

• IMG_0749.jpg
    IMG_0749.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 206
  • IMG_0751.jpg
    IMG_0751.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 147
As long as the bearing faces aren't damaged, and it's just a plastic part that's broken down, I'd think the could be fixed. What you might need to do is find a supplier of the 10 x 10 rollers and add your own chamfer, as this should be a low-stress contact area, and may still have full hardness when you're done (not sure how deep the hardening is on a roller that size).

What may be more critical is the roller OD being properly lapped and consistent in diameter with nearby packs. Even a tenth off may be more than idea when setting up a bearing pack.

What may be more critical is the roller OD being properly lapped and consistent in diameter with nearby packs. Even a tenth off may be more than idea when setting up a bearing pack.[/QUOTE]

That is a definite possibility. It appears that the chamfer is just there for the brass keeper There is an additional spacer between the machine and the rollerpack that can be ground to keep the overall height after assembly the same.
Finding a supplier of 10x10 rollers is the tricky thing at this point!

Assuming you have a surface grinder 10mm rollers should not be that hard to find, you can easily cut longer ones up with a cut off wheel, you will have to order them in but most the major bearing suppliers can do that, i get 1/4" by 1/4" ones to go in custom bronze cages i make up for a application, not exactly off the shelf, but sub 2 weeks lead time normally. there cheap enough too if ordered by the hundred. The chamfer is probaly going to be real expensive to get done, but for what its doing i would just add them with a spindex on a surface grinder, great apprentice job.

Try SKF or NSK both supply rollers, think its SKF i normally end up getting them from via a distributor. There going to be a lot lot cheaper than a machine tool rebuilder like your approaching. One source, but not normally the cheapest, but they are great to deal with,

10x10mm Flat Ended Loose Needle Rollers Simply Bearings Ltd

Assuming you have a surface grinder 10mm rollers should not be that hard to find, you can easily cut longer ones up with a cut off wheel, you will have to order them in but most the major bearing suppliers can do that, i get 1/4" by 1/4" ones to go in custom bronze cages i make up for a application, not exactly off the shelf, but sub 2 weeks lead time normally. there cheap enough too if ordered by the hundred. The chamfer is probaly going to be real expensive to get done, but for what its doing i would just add them with a spindex on a surface grinder, great apprentice job.

Try SKF or NSK both supply rollers, think its SKF i normally end up getting them from via a distributor. There going to be a lot lot cheaper than a machine tool rebuilder like your approaching. One source, but not normally the cheapest, but they are great to deal with,

10x10mm Flat Ended Loose Needle Rollers Simply Bearings Ltd

Thank you! That's exactly what I was looking for but I couldn't seem to get the right verbiage to come up with those results.

I'm going to get a bag of those and see what we can do, if it works great, if not then I know where to get new ones.

Larry- I looked into Tycho and they seem to be rail mounted roller packs, mine run on a flat way, very similar looking but they didn't have what we needed. Thank you though.

Thanks for the help!

Back