What's new
What's new

Rook question about setting a radius tool in a lathe

Tom.

Plastic
I am training a fng and we are currently discussing the "proper" way to set a full radius grooving tool. He is a recent grad from a decent machining tech program at a local community college. My way is to set X and comp in the value of the radius. If I am using a 1/4 diameter grooving tool (N151.2-A250-50-5P) I would bring my tool to the OD on my part X axis is X10.0 then I comp it down 0.125" for the radius. And then Z0 comped 0.125 for the radius. he is trying to say that just the touch off point of X10.0 no comp and Z0. no comp. He doesn't get that Mastercam sets the tool off of the centerpoint of the cutter and not off of the touch off point. How do I teach this young person......

Tom.

I would bring my tool to the OD on my part X axis is X10.0 then I comp it down 0.125" for the radius. And then Z0 comped 0.125 for the radius

hy tom :) if i get it right, this approach means that insert coordinate system is located in the center of the insert radius :)

he is trying to say that just the touch off point of X10.0 no comp and Z0.

this approach means that insert coordinate system is located at low left corner :)

you are both correct, and in both ways a program can be generated :)

locations described by you are marked with blue in attached image :) also there may be used other locations, like the ones marked with red

it is important to associate programing toolpath with "point" position

Attachments

• untitled.PNG
    untitled.PNG
    1.3 KB · Views: 70
Either way works as long as its reflected in the program. If that's how you do it in YOUR shop, then that's how he needs to do it.

Why is he arguing? Does the FNG want to become the effin' unemployed guy?

hy tom :) if i get it right, this approach means that insert coordinate system is located in the center of the insert radius :)

this approach means that insert coordinate system is located at low left corner :)

you are both correct, and in both ways a program can be generated :)

locations described by you are marked with blue in attached image :) also there may be used other locations, like the ones marked with red

it is important to associate programing toolpath with "point" position

Either way works as long as its reflected in the program. If that's how you do it in YOUR shop, then that's how he needs to do it.

Yep. All depends on how the code is generated. Yall do it your way there, so thats how the tool must be set.

Kitten- I am programming and setting the tool off of the insert center like your pic the top center dot. Thanks y'all

pretty much, all he thinks is that piece of paper makes him a machinist and the kid can not even define most g-code in the program. It has gotten so bad in some places with the machining tech programs that employers (such as mine) prefer to hire the 'grads' over 7 year machinists. I told him that he is going to have to prove himself at any shop he sets foot into, eh one more FNG conversion to FUG!!!

Kitten- I am programming and setting the tool off of the insert center like your pic the top center dot

hei Tom, i guess you can see there are more ways to skin the cat :)

on a lathe with a tool setter, an operator will measure the tool more likely how your friend/aprentice suggested ...

you should predict the effects of such cases, because if insert reference system is shifted, than things happen :)

i mean you may program with the reference at the middle, but if an operator measures low-left, and it crashes or something, who will you blame ?

also you may tell him before, but an error still may appear, because the operator may be allready used doing things in a different manner ...

the only way to have peace of mind, is to check the offset values from program or from the control interface, or ... :)

STFU!! dead cat.

To the point, :D
Personally, I set the tools the same way your operator does. When you program with Mastercam you select which corner to use. What difference does it make to the programmer? The reason I do it that way is because it makes it easier for the operator to verify approaches when the tool gets close to the part. It also makes it easier to do the math if you need to make fine programming adjustments. And grooves need that more often than some other turning operations.

But one of you is going to have to bend to do it the other way, you can't both have your way.

R

STFU!! dead cat.

To the point, :D
Personally, I set the tools the same way your operator does. When you program with Mastercam you select which corner to use. What difference does it make to the programmer? The reason I do it that way is because it makes it easier for the operator to verify approaches when the tool gets close to the part. It also makes it easier to do the math if you need to make fine programming adjustments. And grooves need that more often than some other turning operations.

But one of you is going to have to bend to do it the other way, you can't both have your way.

R

Hello Rob,
I'm in your camp. Setting at least the X axis on the insert edge is more intuitive than setting the centre of the radius. There is no valid reason to set a Full Radius Tool differently to Turning/Boring tools.

Regards,

Bill

it is possible to have it both ways ... it requires an intermediate module between program and cnc interface :)

Just adding complication for complication sake.

Setting to the theoretical tool tip off of X and Z is normally how it is done with a tool probe. You just simply probe X and Z and call it good.

It appears like the OP does not have a tool probe in his lathe so he never learned how to do things the easy way. ;)

And no, a piece of paper does not make a machinist.

it is possible that Tom may keep generating programs on radius center, and an operator may measure the tool at lower-left corner

this involves corelation between 2 different cutting edge origins

some controls have capabilites that may be used to help this corelation

Setting to the theoretical tool tip off of X and Z is normally how it is done with a tool probe. You just simply probe X and Z and call it good.

It appears like the OP does not have a tool probe in his lathe so he never learned how to do things the easy way. ;)

And no, a piece of paper does not make a machinist.

We have probes just not on his machine. I am the programmmer and He just quit so it is a moot point. I have learned different ways from different people, but this kid (23-25) just wanted to be billy badass machinist when he proved to the company that he is belinda bitchass machinish

We have probes just not on his machine. I am the programmmer and He just quit so it is a moot point. I have learned different ways from different people, but this kid (23-25) just wanted to be billy badass machinist when he proved to the company that he is belinda bitchass machinish

That's cool Tom, it's hard most of the time working with them. But it will come up again, maybe not groovy, but something always comes up in that topic. Programmer vs. Machinist is not the first main event ever.

R

Back