What's new
What's new

Engraving tool steel, D2

Son of Sam

Aluminum
I am engraving D2 with a 1/16 ball mill. It's in the unhardened state. I am not getting a great finish but it's acceptable seeing as I glass bead the area anyway. The thing is that I have never found a tool that I felt engraved well. I get decent luck with center drill in aluminum. Outside of that I'm not happy. Machine has a 8k spindle with thru coolike option. I would love some input and or suggestions. You guys that make molds should have all kinds of info.

I usually have pretty good results with a 1/16 or 1/32 ball mill, but I'm running 12k. At the last job it was 4k tops and always mild steel (die shoes), and when I started they were using center drills, but they wore quickly and broke after a few shoes. I have also seen great results with tipped-off single- and double-flute engravers but have no direct experience.

If I were doing a lot of engraving I'd be on this page damn quick and emailing questions: Harvey Tool - Engraving Cutters In Stock with Same-Day Shipping

Spot drills work nicely if you buy quality ones with a narrow web. The 1/8" HT ones will leave a .01" flat. Most of our engraving though is done with a 1/32 BN ran wide open.

Micro 100 makes some split engraving cutters that I use in S-7 @ 55 RC. They work great. Reminds me it is almost time to get a bunch of cavities welded up so I can change the 6 to a 7...

Bits&bits tough tip engravers are phenomenal. I run them all day long in O1. I get a day or two of production from one bit. Mostly 60* 0.01" diameter @ 0.025" doc 0.003" Step over 6K rpm (max) @ 6-8ipm 3D 'milling' and tons of 3D pockets. I slow to 4ipm on the pockets. For actual engraving you can run MUCH faster as you have 1/4 the engagement.

I run their 2 Flute engravers down to 0.005" for finishing those parts. The tough tip is my 'rougher' and I've never broken one. I wear them after a day or two and toss em.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

We have good luck with Seco Minimasters and the center drill insert. Yeah, I know it's Seco, but it does a good job for us.

annealed D2? of course it looks like shit. it has the worst machinability of most tool steels, in any state... it makes great knives and shears though.

Back