What's new
What's new

Router guys -- good tool and speed/feed for cutting out shapes in 1/4" 6061?

Finegrain

Diamond
Hi guys,

Looking for parameters to cut out a ~19" x 5" curvy part from 1/4" 6061 with my Brother Speedio. HSM Advisor tells me I can do 8,000 RPM and 96 IPM (.004" chipload) with a 3-flute 1/2" @ 60% tool torque. If I drop down to a 3/8", I get tool torque warnings way before I run out of HP. A max HP HSM toolpath takes ~3X as long as a max HP full depth contour cut BTW.

Other ideas on tool and parameters?

Thanks, and regards.

Mike

Hi guys,

Looking for parameters to cut out a ~19" x 5" curvy part from 1/4" 6061 with my Brother Speedio. HSM Advisor tells me I can do 8,000 RPM and 96 IPM (.004" chipload) with a 3-flute 1/2" @ 60% tool torque. If I drop down to a 3/8", I get tool torque warnings way before I run out of HP. A max HP HSM toolpath takes ~3X as long as a max HP full depth contour cut BTW.

Other ideas on tool and parameters?

Thanks, and regards.

Mike

Why so low on RPM?

Why so low on RPM?

Oh shoot, I just saw that I typo-ed a parameter in HSM Advisor :crazy:.

I can go a lot faster than 8k. Looks like I'm good for 16,000 RPM and 192 IPM.

Is a 3-flute ZrN straight EM still a reasonable tool to use? Is there something better for thru-cutting 1/4" 6061?

Regards.

Mike

Oh shoot, I just saw that I typo-ed a parameter in HSM Advisor :crazy:.

I can go a lot faster than 8k. Looks like I'm good for 16,000 RPM and 192 IPM.

Is a 3-flute ZrN straight EM still a reasonable tool to use? Is there something better for thru-cutting 1/4" 6061?

Regards.

Mike

What diameter? I think .375 would be best.

I was thinking 1/2" but yes, 3/8" allows 240 IPM without running out of HP.

Regards.

Mike

Start at 250ipm and use your federate override to adjust. Your issue won't be HP but loading up the cutter could be a problem. Get plenty of fluid in front and at the cutter edge.

Back