What's new
What's new

S26 expanding collet

The S-26 part should not be part of the equazsion.

A2-6 would likely be the part of your current set-up that matters, and soitenly you can get about anything that you want to hook up to that.

Check with Hardinge if you need direction.

BTW - you need to dbl check the A2-6 part yourself...

--------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Thanks for responding Ox.
I am looking for an expanding collet that works in a s26 spindle nose. We have the spindle already
mounted.

I think you will have to make your own...or an adapter to 5C. How big of an ID? I'm curious to see what you come up with.

Thanks for responding Ox.
I am looking for an expanding collet that works in a s26 spindle nose. We have the spindle already
mounted.

... and I'm telling you that "S26" is not a nose or "arrangement". There could be several different "closer" arrangements that accept a collet - that accepts S-26 pads.

Maybe your machine would take 2-5/8" Acme solid collets, or one that would take master pads?

Maybe your machine would take 26C Solid collets?

Maybe your machine is made to take 2-5/8 Cone collets?

"S-26" is not a "collet" design. It is the pad design, and it could be inside of any style collet.

Besides that, the closer on your collet system gets worn from the collet opening and closing all day long. I would think that anyone building an expanding unit would want to go back to the spindle interface (A2-5, A2-6, etc) to base their design off of.

You will need to tear it apart further.

Maybe you want to look into the newer style system that Hardinge's rival in Germany makes - that is made to go back and forth between collets, chucks, and mandrels easily? Sorry, I can't come up with the name off the top of my head. (I suck at names) However - it is a very expensive system....

Again - most any [modern] bar machine that is able to throat 2-5/8 bar - likely has an A2-6 spindle nose. But you would need to verify.

edit:

I guess - not to mention - the fact that you are running a "closing" system now, when you want an "expanding" system. There are more parts and more to fasten to the spindle to make work.

---------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Last edited:

Back