What's new
What's new

Samsung PCV400-user feedback

spock

Stainless
Want to here some feedback from anyone who has run one, looks like a lot of machine for the money. Good, bad or ugly: I am all ears.

last year they were 46K at IMTS,, they look to be a lot of machine for the money ,,, if they run the sale this year I might have to get one , I have a couple machines that use the same Fanuc OI-MF control and there nice once you get past there learning curve ,,,

I saw the thread about the show special, and remember folks piling on about Samsung wading into the "cheap machine" market.....surely some folks on here picked some up at those prices?

Did you go to the open-house event at Meredith Machinery earlier this year? They had one of these machines on the floor, and I supplied the tools for that demo, and helped "design" the demo part. Perhaps you're looking at the same machine in question.

The machine is certainly in the "basic" machine category from what I remember. Nothing fancy, but solid enough. I remember that it badly needed the high-speed axis accel/decel parameters tuned, as it seemed jerky & slow when we tried to run some high speed machining paths. That seemed unusual, but probably an easy fix with a manual and some time at the control for testing.

The people at Meredith are good folks though.

Let me know if you have more questions.

Is there much $ difference between the PCV and MCV-400?
Wrustle seems fairly happy with his MCV and from the pics and specs it looks like a pretty decent machine.

Is there much $ difference between the PCV and MCV-400?
Wrustle seems fairly happy with his MCV and from the pics and specs it looks like a pretty decent machine.

I recently got a quote on both machines and there was a $24k difference in the base prices. I think the MCV is a little over priced, and it comes with more options, but it seems odd that there would be that much difference in the pricing.

Jashley73, I did not go to open house, but I did go there yesterday to see the one on the floor. They pushed it harder in the demo than I would ever push my machines(which I guess might be normal for a demo?). It took it easy enough, solid and very quite machine. Direct drive spindle at 10k was the quietest I have ever heard.
Did you design the spiral cut demo part? Looked like a 10mm em full slotting at 2 or maybe even 2.5D, no shudder at all in the machine and the endmill was well past dull. I kept waiting for it to blow or a spindle overload alarm, but it just purred on. Plenty of balls for what I do. I am getting clogged up with 3d parts that run for hours. If I get one, I am going to get the high speed options for 400 block look ahead, which is tops for this machine. I am making a living with my 20 block Aicc so I got nowhere to go but up ;)

There seems to be a lot of difference between the MCV and the PCV, and I was quoted a bit more than 24K for the difference. If my budget was that high I would step up a hair and get a Genos, I think. Anyway, looked good but still shopping.

Jashley73, I did not go to open house, but I did go there yesterday to see the one on the floor. They pushed it harder in the demo than I would ever push my machines(which I guess might be normal for a demo?). It took it easy enough, solid and very quite machine. Direct drive spindle at 10k was the quietest I have ever heard.
Did you design the spiral cut demo part? Looked like a 10mm em full slotting at 2 or maybe even 2.5D, no shudder at all in the machine and the endmill was well past dull. I kept waiting for it to blow or a spindle overload alarm, but it just purred on. Plenty of balls for what I do. I am getting clogged up with 3d parts that run for hours. If I get one, I am going to get the high speed options for 400 block look ahead, which is tops for this machine. I am making a living with my 20 block Aicc so I got nowhere to go but up ;)

There seems to be a lot of difference between the MCV and the PCV, and I was quoted a bit more than 24K for the difference. If my budget was that high I would step up a hair and get a Genos, I think. Anyway, looked good but still shopping.

The part with the scroll cut on one side, and the hex-star on the other side....? I worked with them on it. The spiral/scroll cut was their idea. The endmill cutting that is a beast of a tool. (1/2" Niagara Stabilizer 2.0 endmill.) The hex-star on the other end used a 3/8" Niagara SCSR 6-flute endmill, at 1.5ish or something deep.

When they had the open-house, they had that PCV and an MCV next to it - I think the MCV machine was larger travel, but it had thru-spindle coolant as well - they used one of my indexable drills in the MCV machine. That could account for some of the difference, and like I said, I believe the MCV was a bigger machine.

You should send me a PM so we can trade comments. I'm curious to see what you were quoted, as I have a rough idea. I could also offer some help on the tooling as well. Best of luck in the search.

Back