What's new
What's new

Sandvik's 2220 stainless grade, anyone using it here?

SND

Diamond
Just checking if anyone here has some feedback on this fairly new 2220 grade for turning stainless. I'm currently using mostly 1115, 1125, which was a nice step up from the older 2025.
Anyone got some data on how 2220 compares?

Which grade of stainless and what are your criteria? I'm always looking to improve the finish on the stainless parts I make, so if these new Sandvik inserts are an improvement in that regard, I'm interested too. FWIW The last parts I did in stainless were out of 303 and as said surface finish was by far the most important criteria. I used Secos TM4000 and got great results. I had been using a Sanvik grade but the number is escaping me at the moment (5025 maybe?).

I use 1115 & 1125 for everything, 316, 17-4, duplex, inconel, hastelloy, and the very rare steel related stuff.

Its surprising how few on here seem to be using sandvik's inserts, are they not that big in the US or harder to get?

I have used it on some 304 stainless so far. Cnmg 431 insert with an mf chipbreaker lastest almost twice as many parts than the 1125 I was using before it. Same speeds and feeds, so far I have been very pleased with the new grade.

Thanks, that's good to hear. I'll give them a go, price is pretty much equal to the 1115, 1125's.

Not harder to get, just harder to justify the price I think.

R

About how much $ are they in the US?

If I convert my CAD prices to USD with current exchange my cheapest one works out to $7.72US, and most expensive one $9.86US.

We usually pay a fair bit more on everything in Canada, so I'd expect they would be even less $ in the US? seems the case with all other cutting tools like endmills/drills and such.

When I was doing purchasing a while ago (10 years), Sandvik was up there with Mits. and KM and some others as far as pricing goes. Nothing bad to say about them, just that there seems to be cheaper alternatives. Unfortunately with cheaper alt's obviously you don't get the consistency in quality or reliable delivery times that you are going to get from the big dogs. Wasn't trying to derail your thread just answering your question from my experience. $10.00 a pop isn't bad in 2017 IMO. Especially if the 2220's are doing that well.

R

Try the 2015 cnmg MM chip breaker. 450 / 550 sfm .015 per rev .12/.15 depth of cut. Use it in all stainless and chromes. Superior to the 1115/1105 in those circumstances. Go up to 1115/05 in tough materials though.

I have tried one insert of the new stainless grade, while it did work good didn't test it long enough. 2015 still better. 2025/2035 I've had no luck with though.

About how much $ are they in the US?

If I convert my CAD prices to USD with current exchange my cheapest one works out to $7.72US, and most expensive one $9.86US.

We usually pay a fair bit more on everything in Canada, so I'd expect they would be even less $ in the US? seems the case with all other cutting tools like endmills/drills and such.

Thomas Skinner is the only place that has them around here and I've yet to get anything from them at less than list ($17 ea for DNMG 432-MR 2220)

Do you buy enough volume that you get such a good deal?

Or just have a good supplier?

If you let area salesmen in the door and give a tiny bit of time and respect you can ask for a free sample to try.
Do the "don't call me, I'll call you thing" and you are on your own.
So you end up choosing to give 10 guys a bit of time, which now adds up to a lot of your time, or guessing at what works and hoping you know more than any tooling guy out there.

Asking what works in another shop is not much help at all. They do not have your machines, your parts, your programs, your methods.
For any carbide grade there will be those in love and those who hate it.
Some will still swear by 883 which is one of the oldest around as the best thing since sliced bread,...... others think it obsolete and only used by fools.
In reality it is both.

No two shops are the same. Even machines across the aisle on the same part will like differing grades.
This grade would not exist if it did not work better than everything else in the right usage.
Producing and stocking a new grade is very expensive for someone like Sandvik. The maker has to commit big bucks so does plenty of testing before shelling out that 1/2 million dollars.
It might not be right for you or may be magic. Only trying will tell, not tales from the net.
Bob

I use 1115 & 1125 for everything, 316, 17-4, duplex, inconel, hastelloy, and the very rare steel related stuff.

Its surprising how few on here seem to be using sandvik's inserts, are they not that big in the US or harder to get?

I love Sandvik and thats my first choice in my shop....they are not cheap but I get very good results. (threading inserts R166.0G-16UN01-... are $20+ each)

For SS 1020 1025 2015 2025 1120 work great

Have not tried the 2220 grade yet.

Well, I've had a bit of time to play. Mostly 17-4, 316, duplex, and 625inco.

The new 2220 grade hands down easily beats any 2025 and 2015 I've used before, more than worth the extra couple dollars per insert. Saw 3-4x the tool life vs 2025 for roughing duplex. Quite a bit better in 625 as well.

Where its trickier its the 1115 vs 2220. There's times I feel one is a little better, and times the other seems better. It would probably take a fair bit of production of 1 type of part to get enough data to tell which is best for that application. I've not yet made up my mind on which I'll re-order for a few shapes but it'll likely be a mix of both for a while.

I finally decided to try the 1105 grade the last few weeks, I was a bit hesitant for a while to go to a 05 as I was worried they might be a bit too brittle and easy to chip/break for some of my applications, turns out they're holding up really great and the edge stays on the 1105 a good bit longer with good finishes.

No, they just cannot compete in performance over SECO, and Walter inserts.

No, they just cannot compete in performance over SECO, and Walter inserts.

I'd like to see and try that. What do you recommend from Seco or Walter that beats Sandviks 1115 or 1105 grade for inconel/hastelloy/316 ?

I've only seen a tiny bit of walter stuff around the last few years, its not a dealer I deal with and since I never was overly impressed with Valentine before, I never gave them a thought for my shop, but that's almost 15yrs ago now, surely they improved since.

Only ever seen 1 tool from Seco around here at another shop, some facemill, seemed ok, but again years ago. Not sure if they even have anyone local selling it.
I've been debating trying a couple more things from Iscar but haven't felt much like figuring out their numbers and such yet and seeing what they cost.

I'd like to see and try that. What do you recommend from Seco or Walter that beats Sandviks 1115 or 1105 grade for inconel/hastelloy/316 ?

I've only seen a tiny bit of walter stuff around the last few years, its not a dealer I deal with and since I never was overly impressed with Valentine before, I never gave them a thought for my shop, but that's almost 15yrs ago now, surely they improved since.

Only ever seen 1 tool from Seco around here at another shop, some facemill, seemed ok, but again years ago. Not sure if they even have anyone local selling it.
I've been debating trying a couple more things from Iscar but haven't felt much like figuring out their numbers and such yet and seeing what they cost.

From SECO I would be using the TS grades, TS2500 is what I've used for the Hastelloy and Inconel. For the 316 a TM grade likely TM2000.

I have use "Valenite" specifically branded tools before they sucked. "Walter" branded tools have been incredible. I am using Walter WPP05S CNMG 543 for turning 4145 - 135KSI yield, and 4330V Mod - 150KSI Yield with fantastic results. Never used it for the materials you mentioned as I've only recently been testing the waters with them. They have so far outperformed anything I have used before in high yield steels.

Very recently I was running a 0.5" Radial DOC, .024 IPR, 450SFM in 4145-140KSI material with junk coolant and got consistent 17 minute life out of the edge. I could have gone faster but I wanted the edge to last the entire run time of the part. Used pretty much everything the lathe had to push it, and it's way too heavy of a DOC for the size of insert I was using.

Generally I've been seeing 600-1200 SFM in high yield alloy steels with the Walter tools and getting incredible chip control and tool life. I've just switched coolants to Blaser B-Cool 755 from a Hydrosol coolant that seemed terrible. And am looking to get some 300+ PSI coolant at 16GPM to see just how far I can push things.

Is this apples vs. apples since Seco and Walter are owned by Sandvik ;)
(along with Dormer, Pramet, Union Butterfield, Precision Twist Drill...)

Is this apples vs. apples since Seco and Walter are owned by Sandvik ;)
(along with Dormer, Pramet, Union Butterfield, Precision Twist Drill...)

I hadn't realized Sandvik was major share holder in all of them.

Talking of Pramet, I've been using some of the AL inserts (CCGT, DCGT), Korloy's prices have gotten beyond insane the last few years here. The Pramet ones are lasting longer in my application, and are about 40% less $.

Back